Getting close.

ispymalik

Joined Apr 7, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some help.
I want to find a way to have a RF transmitter/Receiver circuit know when its getting close to its brother circuit.

I.e. in pretty rough terms.
You could put the "gadget" in your car as you leave it in a parking lot.
Then as you come back to the lot to retrieve your car, your brother "gadget" (on your person) could light up as it receives the signal from the one in your car.

I'm not looking for pinpoint accuracy, just something that lets you know your near.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
But if you forget what your car looks like then you still won't find it because the simple light is not directional.

I have never forgot what my car looks like.
I have never forgot which parking lot I left it in.
I have never forgot where in a parking lot I parked.

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
I once had a new job in downtown Los Angeles and parked in a lot. After work it took me over an hour to find the car :)
I did not even know which lot it was in.

You need an oscillator in the car and a receiver with a signal level meter on you.

or

You could install a radio frequency door bell under the hood and carry the transmitter with you. This might work well. If you look around you can find one for less than $10.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/217550704/Remote_control_doorbell_RF_doorbell_wireless.html

This is a good read.
Build your own:
http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/WirelessDoorbell/WirelessDoorbell.html

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I want to find a way to have a RF transmitter/Receiver circuit know when its getting close to its brother circuit
Google search for: child locator proximity alarm
These just cry out to be hacked.

Ken

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
When I push the lock button twice on the key fob of my 8 year old Ford Ranger, the horn beeps. I have never used this to find my truck, but I could.
Apparently your car does not have this feature. (?) My truck is pretty old and pretty fundamental, in terms of bells and whistles.