Getting Around 0.65V DROP of An BJT

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Dear Experts...

I have an schematic here with Q1 configured as an emitter follower. The emitter lead on the transistor follows the base junction voltage less ~0.65V.

Q: How can I counteract this 0.65V drop and bring the output up to 2.2 volts as per the Vref from the LED?

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
However, the voltage at Vout will not track the LED voltage very well.
It depends on what, "very well" is needed. MCU88 is asking about a circuit with 3 parts. I could make it track deadly well, but it would need several more parts and be a lot more involved in the understanding of the circuit.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
It depends on what, "very well" is needed. MCU88 is asking about a circuit with 3 parts. I could make it track deadly well, but it would need several more parts and be a lot more involved in the understanding of the circuit.
Keen to see it. Please post an schema and schematic for us...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That turned out better than I expected! Choose the right 5 volt op-amp and you might do this in 4 parts.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The op-amp drives the transistor so that the output of the transistor is the same as the voltage at the LED, give or take errors in the op-amp. This can be as low as the microvolt range.

The fet is a constant current device. In this configuration it allows 5 ma to 15 ma to flow, depending on which transistor your fingers touch when you reach into the parts bin. This constant current ability replaces the resistor and does an excellent job of refusing to respond to the voltage variations of the power supply.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
The op-amp drives the transistor so that the output of the transistor is the same as the voltage at the LED
Arh yes of course. The emitter is in the feedback path so there it compensates for the 0.65 volt drop.

I was sorting of hoping for an transistor only solution though...

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is how the proposed circuit is effected by load current and temperature. My LED has a slightly different Vf. Note the temperature effect is largely a function of LED Vf being effected by temperature... which the opamp circuit does not solve.

183.gif

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here, let me flip that around for you. It's just a current enhanced voltage follower. It will track the voltage of the LED religiously. If you want the variations of the LED voltage that are caused by temperature changes, you got it! If you want a steady reference voltage, the LED is a miserable choice in the first place.

Attachments

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Here, let me flip that around for you. It's just a current enhanced voltage follower. It will track the voltage of the LED religiously. If you want the variations of the LED voltage that are caused by temperature changes, you got it! If you want a steady reference voltage, the LED is a miserable choice in the first place.
In general I am looking for ways to get around the 0.65 volt drop of an BJT. That's it. Just interested in methods of getting around this limitation that is sometimes an useful aid.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Boosting the output is often done with just a diode. You can use this trick with an LM7805, too. :)

Design you a differential amp with transistors at 5 am? I'm getting tired right now.
Maybe tomorrow.

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
Boosting the output is often done with just a diode. You can use this trick with an LM7805, too. :)

Design you a differential amp with transistors at 5 am? I'm getting tired right now.
Maybe tomorrow.
Sleep is for the weak. Knock off time is 8am. Go grab yourself an cup of coffee.