Getting a peizo to control a 10Vdc analog input

eainley

Joined Nov 25, 2011
Hey there,
I'm trying to work through a project that would let me control the voltage of an incandescent lamp through a peizo transducer. In other words, the more vibration the peizo picks up the brighter the lamp will be. Was hoping someone here might be able to start me in the right direction.

After doing some research, I was able to find this kit here:
http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/K8064

I think this might be what I need, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get the peizo to control the 10Vdc analog input. Though, I could be barking up the wrong tree. there might be a more simpler solution than that circuit kit. I'm not married to the idea of using that kit, was just the first step I found that might help me.

I thought about using a relay or switch of some kind but I don't think that would allow for smooth dimming of the light. The light needs to directly respond with brightness according to the peizo sensor's voltage output. The peizo will be attached to the sound board of a piano that will be striking long decaying chords and ideally the light would gradually leave as the sound softens.

I hope all of this makes sense, and thanks ahead of time.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A piezo transducer DOES NOT produce a smooth DC output. Instead it produces an instantaneous AC output at a high impedance.

eainley

Joined Nov 25, 2011
Ah, I see. Well is there going to be a way to convert the AC output of the piezo to a smooth DC output? Or should I not use the K8064 kit and go about it a different way? Or is there something else besides a piezo that would allow me to pickup sound for DC output?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You need an electronic circuit with a high input impedance to amplify the AC signal from the transducer, rectify the output then filter it. It can drive the kit.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You need an electronic circuit with a high input impedance to amplify the AC signal from the transducer, rectify the output into DC then filter it.