Getting a hot swap power supply to turn on.

XOIIO

Joined Mar 1, 2013
So I have a couple IBM Ascom DR 500W power supplies, and they have pretty nice specs, being able to put out 35 amps and 5 volts, 27 amps at 12 volts, and I'd love to get it running, however I've looked at the board and tried connecting leads on the spade connector and I can't get the darn thing to power up. Any ideas?

They are also just nice boxes, I might be ordering a 30v variable power supply board that is fairly small, and it would have a nice home inside this, with a couple voltage meters on the front and banana jacks.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Looks like a Power Unit for a PC. Have a look at the Power On connection. This is pin 14 (green wire) on the 20 / 24 pin Terminal. This needs to be grounded for the supply to come on. I think the +5V o/p need a minimum load to keep the unit running.

Ramesh

Last edited:

XOIIO

Joined Mar 1, 2013
Looks like a Power Unit for a PC. Have a look at the Power On connection. This is pin 14 (green wire) on the 20 / 24 pin Terminal. This needs to be grounded for the supply to come on. I think the +5V o/p need a minimum load to keep the unit running.

Ramesh
Unfortunately this has a big spade connector that's just part of the circuit board, not regular ATX wiring, I'm just hoping maybe someone here is fammiliar with these systems and how it is "told" to turn on.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
"Turn ON" is by a control signal as mentioned earlier.

You will have to search the motherboard for "tags" or other similar points (maybe labelled) from where control wires are taken. Can you send some pictures of the motherboard?

XOIIO

Joined Mar 1, 2013
"Turn ON" is by a control signal as mentioned earlier.

You will have to search the motherboard for "tags" or other similar points (maybe labelled) from where control wires are taken. Can you send some pictures of the motherboard?
I'll have to get my hands on one of the servers, might take a while.