Getting a ball to glow then blink on bounce...

Darnel Harris

Joined Jul 14, 2019
Hello all! - I have the Nite Ize GlowStreak LED Ball (https://www.niteize.com/product/GlowStreak-LED-Ball.asp). It's a fun and durable thing, with a core that can be unscrewed to pop in batteries and a light.

The only problem is that it glows and blinks for 10 minutes, when, after the first bounce, I want it to glow for about 30 to 60 seconds, start flashing and then shut off about 30 to 60 seconds later. Ideally those would be slightly random, but that's optional. The current set cycle is too long.

So what I'm left with is a one inch deep cavity deep, that is a .6 of an inch tall and need to put in a battery, a light and some sort of control I guess. It's for a game in a school, so I'm going for cost-effective solutions.

Ideas?

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Your project is probably too ambitious for you, especially if you have no electronics experience. Here's why:
1) It will require a completely new PC board, which YOU will have to design.
2) This new PCB will HAVE to be exactly the same size as the current design and with MOST of the same components, which you will have to source and acquire.
3) It will require a program to drive the LED, which YOU will have to write, test, debug, compile, then program into the microprocessor that @MrChips suggested above.
4) The current device is probably a COB (Chip On Board) device, with an epoxy covering. Your device will have to be a surface mounted device, which may give you height problems.

There are probably more potential problems that I failed to list, each of which will have to be overcome. How much time do you have to accomplish the task? Are you doing this by yourself?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
My CR 2032 measures .787 in. X .1 in. so would not fit in a .6 X 1 in. space, might re measure. Seems there is enough room for a new circuit
made with a combination of standard ICs ( 556 ) & surface mount parts, maybe wired dead bug style. What color from LEDs desired?
Are you in the US?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
For the vibration switch, might use SW-18020P ( I have ) or SW-18010P, either from DigiKey for about US $ 1.00.
About 5/16 X 3/16 in. + leads.

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I was breaking down the bread board for this dead project & decided to post the result even with the screw up on SW connections on drawing.
The intent is to disable additional SW closures until final time out. I believe that it will all fit on a 1 X 1 " board. 555's shown because they were in stock; my C556 is SM with pins to small to see ; maybe a breakout board or better yet- hit ERASE>.Scan.jpg

Darnel Harris

Joined Jul 14, 2019
Oh, its hardly dead!

I'm not doing this by myself (which is to say I have contacts at two Engineering schools that would probably *love* to take a crack at this - and by looks of things will). So while this conversation's finer details is decidedly above my head, I am sure they will get it.

My CR 2032 measures .787 in. X .1 in. so would not fit in a .6 X 1 in. space, might re measure. Seems there is enough room for a new circuit
made with a combination of standard ICs ( 556 ) & surface mount parts, maybe wired dead bug style. What color from LEDs desired?
Are you in the US?
In Canada - and I was thinking orange and red, or just red not that it truly matters. So long as it's bright.

Your project is probably too ambitious for you, especially if you have no electronics experience. Here's why:
1) It will require a completely new PC board, which YOU will have to design.
2) This new PCB will HAVE to be exactly the same size as the current design and with MOST of the same components, which you will have to source and acquire.
3) It will require a program to drive the LED, which YOU will have to write, test, debug, compile, then program into the microprocessor that @MrChips suggested above.
4) The current device is probably a COB (Chip On Board) device, with an epoxy covering. Your device will have to be a surface mounted device, which may give you height problems.

There are probably more potential problems that I failed to list, each of which will have to be overcome. How much time do you have to accomplish the task? Are you doing this by yourself?
Well, I had hoped it could get done soon....now I'm targeting next March. You are right about the COB btw, I had a look. In theory though losing a battery would work, would it not?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Thanks, much better. Circuit board .9 in. X 1 in.
The CR2032 has a nice flat discharge V with 300 uA load, but suggested pulse load is only 12 mA. How to get a bright ball ?
Guess that I have nothing more to add.

Last edited:

Darnel Harris

Joined Jul 14, 2019
Thanks, much better. Circuit board .9 in. X 1 in.
The CR2032 has a nice flat discharge V with 300 uA load, but suggested pulse load is only 12 mA. How to get a bright ball ?
Guess that I have nothing more to add.
Any way to know what the current pulse load is on the current ball?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Have you looked at the LED brightness with circuit out of the ball ?
All in series; bright red LED, 150 ohm, 2 old CR2032's draws 20 ma. Might be bright enough.
Have not found a very bright flashing LED.