hinz347

Joined Dec 20, 2004
hi, I need an IC that can switch between 11 connections like this

A-K being the 11 settings, <-|-> being the pole

ABCDEFGHIJK
<-|->
-----------
it is a single pole 11 toggle Ic that is switched by pressing two push buttons
one button has to switch from -->(A-K) while the other has to switch <--(K-A)
if anyone is able to build one for me i am willing to pay for it if the price is "right"
please help me out if and you have any questions or suggestions please respond.
Thankyou

WHAT I THINK A 16 PIN SWITCHING IC SHOULD LOOK LIKE
A G
B H
C I
D J
E K
F -->
<-- +IN
GND -IN

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

It's hard to reply as there is no indication of what is being switched. If the circuit handles greater than logic level voltages of currents in the range of hundreds of milliamps, it makes quite a difference.

bodhisatva

Joined May 20, 2004
You need analog switches or just logic levels?
If you need analog switches how much you expect to be the Ron(the resistanse of the switch in ON position).
What is the desired speed of switching and what is the frequency of the switched signal?
What kind of signal will go through this?

The task is not hard to do. I reccomend if you have some skills and time to fold your sleevs and to do it by your self.
There are some standart devices with this function. And it is not so hard to find one of them.

hinz347

Joined Dec 20, 2004
i wanted to use it for switching between levels of resistors because i cant find an 0-500k digital pot. i figured that if i coudn't find a digital resistor that it might just be easier to find a digital switch. i was planning to use this for my electric guitar. im not sure how much voltage would have to run through it but how much electricity could a pickup on a guitar make? don't think it could be that much.

Brandon

Joined Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by hinz347@Dec 29 2004, 09:44 PM
i wanted to use it for switching between levels of resistors because i cant find an 0-500k digital pot. i figured that if i coudn't find a digital resistor that it might just be easier to find a digital switch. i was planning to use this for my electric guitar. im not sure how much voltage would have to run through it but how much electricity could a pickup on a guitar make? don't think it could be that much.
[post=4346]Quoted post[/post]​
They make digital guitars. We call them synthesizers.

But if you really want to persue this, attempt to use an analog MUX. You can use a micro or a knob to control the input word to the MUX to select the proper channel to conduct through and therefore to the proper resistor value you want. No need for anything mechanical to do any 'switching', the MUX can handle it just fine.

Also, the voltge put out by a guitar is miniscule at best. Unless your using powered pickups your not going to be putting our much current/voltage at all.

When in doubt, cut up a 1/4" wire and connect it a meter or oscilloscope and hit the open E and see what you get.

hinz347

Joined Dec 20, 2004
Originally posted by Brandon@Dec 30 2004, 02:13 PM
They make digital guitars. We call them synthesizers.

But if you really want to persue this, attempt to use an analog MUX. You can use a micro or a knob to control the input word to the MUX to select the proper channel to conduct through and therefore to the proper resistor value you want. No need for anything mechanical to do any 'switching', the MUX can handle it just fine.

Also, the voltge put out by a guitar is miniscule at best. Unless your using powered pickups your not going to be putting our much current/voltage at all.

When in doubt, cut up a 1/4" wire and connect it a meter or oscilloscope and hit the open E and see what you get.
[post=4358]Quoted post[/post]​
i was looking at some and didn't really understand them so what would be the best analog mux to use?

Brandon

Joined Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by hinz347@Dec 30 2004, 06:16 PM
i was looking at some and didn't really understand them so what would be the best analog mux to use?
[post=4369]Quoted post[/post]​
I'm not sure if there is a best. Its like asking whats a better resistor to use.

The idea of a mux is to be able to choose different devices, especially if you are limited in the amount of pins you have availible.

Say your using a little 8 pin PIC and you need to control 16 LEDs. No way to do it from the PIC. You only have 5 output lines. THe mux (multiplexer) allows you to take those 5 output lines and use them as a binary word. Now, instead of 5 lines, you have 2^5 (32) combinations you can use. from 00000 to 11111.

Most analog muxes have 1 input pin, a set of selection pins (S0-S#), an enable pin and a set of output pins. The idea is that the input pin get routed to the various output pins via the selection pins and enable pin. The enable pin gives you the opportunity to connect tons of these suckers together so you can get massive control over tons of components.

To get LED1 to light you would pick the 1st selection word. 000. To get LED2 to light, it would be 001, then 010 and so on. Instead of LEDs you would be using your various resistor values that you chose.

If you;ve never played with one before, go spend a few dollars at a radio shack or something and get some LEDs and try to make the LEDs light up as I have described above. For the selection bits, maybe use one of those little dip switch boxes to start with just so you can see it operation and become more comfortable with it.

dragan733

Joined Dec 12, 2004
hinz347,
I understand you what you want. Here in the attachment you will find an schematic with use of a digital potentiometer, circuit integrated: X9314 from: XICOR. So I think that is what you want.
And now, will you pay $ for the schematic? :) ;)