Generation of rectangular EMP impulses 30V 100MHz

satcom

Joined Apr 1, 2015
Well, the above methods are suitable mainly for use in laboratory, and hardware have a significant dimensions.
Also, tyrathrons are too expensive. I need compact device powered from a home outlet, that will not overload wiring, and doesn't require forced cooling.

col_panek

Joined Oct 30, 2015
Find an old TV on the side of the road, use the HVPS out of it to charge up a long line of cable, put a spark gap at one end, get big pulse out.

Check your homeowners' and life insurance first, to see if it covers EMP generation.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Panek: You are speaking of few miliamperes and 10 kV, I was speaking on 5000 000 miliamperes and 50 kV. Dont You see the difference?

And yes, tyrathrons are not cheap, BUT them are so old that probably one may find it somewhere at shelves just waiting from sixties, then it is `freeware`.

col_panek

Joined Oct 30, 2015
Not sure where your decimal point is, are you talking 5000 amps? At 50 KV, ten ohms. A 7890 thyratron ought to cover that, but they are a pain to get and you might need a heater for the hydrogen reservoir. A laser-triggered spark gap might be easier for the home hobbyist. Use a neon sign transformer and a bunch of voltage doubler diodes, charge up a bunch of capacitors made of glass plates. Or scrounge some war surplus HV caps and build a PFN out of 1/4 inch water pipe. That would be fun.

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Instead of neon trafo what rarely gets more than few hundred Watts, may try a microwave cooker MOT. Yet MOT has only 3 kV but the 2 kW. Dozen of such in series and You may kill as Yourself as well the nearest neighbours around.
Or ZVT H-bridge and several ferrite cores from kinescope type TV, those cone-like what stays on the kinescope neck. They well work up to the 15 kHz and each may stand a few kW.
Other way to act is (again the laser technique), take a large enough ring and wind some 16 turns with as thick as possible coaxial. Then at each 4th turn cut the braid and switch let the inner wire would be in series all four sections, but braid would be parallel. Now I die out how to repair such 4 lasers what all have the same defect - the burned insulation along the cable, but those 50 kV cables aren`t produced anymore. Modern coaxial I tried are burning already at 20 kV. That original cable had polyethylene insulation betw braid and wire about 7mm thick, but RG series has about 4 to 5 mm only.

col_panek

Joined Oct 30, 2015
Sounds like a Marx generator. If you have many transistors or spark gaps, charge them all in series and trigger the bottom one and they all fire under avalanche breakdown. Then they discharge a pulse in series, and you get lots of volts.