Generation of 4 Phase Shifted clock Signals

tars

Joined Oct 14, 2019
hello

How could we generate a phase shifted signal clock signal (90,180, 270) with just basic components?

Thank you

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What shape should the signals have?
If they are square waves, there might be some possibilities.

Bertus

tars

Joined Oct 14, 2019
hi tars,
Welcome to AAC.
What frequency range do you have in mind.?
E

hello,
the frequency is around 2.5MHz and a square wave . And i have possibity using d flip flops but i need may be some ideas just using some basic components .

If you are happy with square waves, use a shift register and an inverter to make a twisted ring Johnson counter.
Basically, the SR fills up with ones, then zeros shift in to over write. The output frequency will be /4 of the clock frequency.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_counter
yeah its a square wave but i need some ideas just using some basic components,

Hello,

What shape should the signals have?
If they are square waves, there might be some possibilities.

Bertus
Hi,
yeah its a square wave and i need some ideas just using some basic components

Last edited by a moderator:

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
OK. I was a bit hasty with my previous post. Just a simple 4-stage shift register is required. No twist!
The fourth stage is connected back to the first without an inverter.
I have attached a simple circuit using a pair of 4013 dual D flip-flops. This can be done in a single IC.
A reset input sets up the required initial condition - Q1 and Q2 set, Q3 and Q4 cleared.

Then, each clock rotates the sequence through. After 4 clocks the sequence is complete and returns to the initial state.
It can be clocked (rotated) forever. Each Q output is a square wave at a quarter of the clock frequency. Each Q output is a 90deg phase shift from the previous output.

Instead of using the reset input it might be better to use a logic network to generate the shift register input from the 4 outputs. That way, a reset is not required, and should any stage get corrupted, the state will correct itself within 4 clocks.

ShiftRegister_4-bit.png

tars

Joined Oct 14, 2019
OK. I was a bit hasty with my previous post. Just a simple 4-stage shift register is required. No twist!
The fourth stage is connected back to the first without an inverter.
I have attached a simple circuit using a pair of 4013 dual D flip-flops. This can be done in a single IC.
A reset input sets up the required initial condition - Q1 and Q2 set, Q3 and Q4 cleared.

Then, each clock rotates the sequence through. After 4 clocks the sequence is complete and returns to the initial state.
It can be clocked (rotated) forever. Each Q output is a square wave at a quarter of the clock frequency. Each Q output is a 90deg phase shift from the previous output.

Instead of using the reset input it might be better to use a logic network to generate the shift register input from the 4 outputs. That way, a reset is not required, and should any stage get corrupted, the state will correct itself within 4 clocks.

View attachment 188076
Thank you so much Marley. I thought about it too, but i need something in basic component level may be ( with some caps, transistors, ..).

and i also have an idea but dont know how to go about it, as follows,....

i am thinking of some delay circuit which switch on 2nd clock signal with dealy of 100ns and third with 100ns..and 4th with 100ns....in a period of 400ns so that i can get phase sift as i want....?

do you have any idea by which i can do that or am i thinking in wrong direction?

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Using a GUI drag and drop tool you can create simple or complex logic circuits.
And experiment with other circuits by reprogramming it. Think of it as a breadboard.

Here a LUT is used and configured to run as a state machine and
generates 4 sequential non overlapping clocks. See attached.

No code has to be written in this case. Once you drag and drop components
you hit the program button and tool programs part/board. A component
is an onchip resource. Attached a component catalog for the chip. Basic
logic requires no code writing, more advanced components require at least
one code line to start them.

Right hand window shows all the resources used/unused.

Tool and compiler free. https://www.cypress.com/products/psoc-creator-integrated-design-environment-ide

Lots of training videos, example projects.

Board to use ~ $10.

https://www.cypress.com/documentati...oc-5lp-prototyping-kit-onboard-programmer-and

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

Last edited: