Generating Sine Wave

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Lots of people are still using the CMOS 4000 ICs.
What is this, some sort of "steampunk" movement in hobby electronics??? Some sort of nostalgia trip, like vacuum-tube worship? No one that I know-- and I do mean NO ONE-- has used 4000 series CMOS since the early 1980's when 74HCxxx first appeared.

I can understand there is probably a niche market for 4000-- such as, any place you simply MUST have logic that operates at >5VDC, or need the large noise margins that go along with higher-voltage operation, or need the slower switching speeds to reduce generated EMI-- but for general-purpose usage? I don't think so.

Forget the 4000 CMOS stuff: build a PIC16F877A-powered tube tester! Weed out those defective Russian-made 12AT7s, 6AU6's and 6L6's!!!

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
What is this, some sort of "steampunk" movement in hobby electronics??? Some sort of nostalgia trip, like vacuum-tube worship? No one that I know-- and I do mean NO ONE-- has used 4000 series CMOS since the early 1980's when 74HCxxx first appeared.
You need to understand what my target audience is. Heaps of posts on this forum regarding circuits which implement CD4000 ICs. The people that I am targeting are not professional engineers such as yourself, but rather students and hobbyists.