Gel battery and equalizing

j5892000

Joined Mar 2, 2019
I've read a few different things about gel batteries and equalizing. Some say you can and some say no. My gel batteries say charge/absorption/equalize 6.9 to 7.3 and float standby at 6.7 to 6.8. I know it mentions it but I'm hesitant . My charger says it can charge gel agm deep cycle and "standard" . Supposed to me a micro processor controlled charger. If the battery is agm I use agm setting .. if it is gel or deep cycle or "standard" I'm assuming is had separate setting for agm because of equalizing but even I've Seen different settings for agm saying equalizing is ok for some batteries. Not sure if the charger is doing anything funny when charging the gel in standard. I have 2 6v batteries in series so 14.6 o guess is wgat they are supposed to charge at? But I heard what sounded like rice crispies popping in milk .. although it was faint and I felt around the battery and noticed no increase in temperature . My charge got up to 14.4 volts when I noticed the noise. What us your opinion? The battery are deka denominator gel batteries and the charger is a Viking 4 amp charger from harbor freight that can charge both 6 and 4 volts agm and standard batteries. I notice my solsr charge controler in my charges the batteries to about 12.5 with the gel setting.. and that under charged it... the charge controler is also harbor freight ...

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
I've read a few different things about gel batteries and equalizing.
Exactly what Type & Model of battery do you actually have?
http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co...minator-Gel-Extreme-Deep-Cycle-Flyer-0908.pdf
http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/wp-content/uploads/Deka-Dominator-Gel-Marine_RV-Flyer-0909.pdf

Model 8GCC2 ?

How old are these batteries?
"Rice Crispies" is most likely gas venting, which is not good long term.
No individual Cell, inside either battery, is allowed to be higher than 2.43 Volts = Gassing

Last edited:

j5892000

Joined Mar 2, 2019
They are 8GGC2 they are 2018 January yeah . I figured it was gas. After I turned the charger off I've let the batteries sit for almost 24 hrs. And it's sitting at 12.9 nicely series connected 2 six volts

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Gel cell and AGM batteries are very sensitive to overcharging. I believe a 12v Gel should charge at 14.1v and AGM at13.8. Going above that results in overheating and damage.
I would put an actual voltmeter on it and monitor while charging. I would never trust the cheap meters they put in chargers.

j5892000

Joined Mar 2, 2019
Yeah I've read that too. I wouldn't be surprised if the volt on the charger was actually higher or it was doing some voltage burst increase for equalization. I hate that the charger doesn't tell me the amps or at what stage it's in of its it's equalizing or not. It's like "yeah here... just put any battery on it they are all the same"

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
A +/-0.1% accuracy factory calibrated Voltmeter and Ammeter is needed.
You need to know what is going on.

You should DISABLE Auto-Equalize Mode immediately.
If you cannot disable Auto-Equalize then buy a better charger.
Eventually, you will need to perform an Equalize, but do it manually.

All Lead Acid batteries must be slightly over-charged, it is the only way to guarantee a 100% charge
If a sealed battery ( GEL or AGM ) is charged too quickly or severely over-charged it will out-gas, and that water can never be replaced.
I doubt that your charger can ever charge your 8GGC2 battery too quickly.
But your charger can eventually severely over-charge and cause out-gassing = bad.

Per the DEKA GEL Charging Bulletin (2016) ...
The Absorption Phase should be terminated when the Voltage is between 14.1 v - 14.4 v
*NOTE: This Voltage must be temperature compensated.

So, exactly HOW does your charger terminate the Absorption Phase?
Was your Charger still in Absorption Phase at 14.4 volts?

Last edited: