garage doors sensor not working good

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by LAOADAM, Jan 11, 2019.

1. LAOADAM

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 21, 2018
    My garage door sensor receiver not works time by time, may because of the winter cold?

I opened the receiver's box and plugged into the connector, the green led is on, disappear after few times open and close test.

Should I buy a set of new sensor or fixable? Or is it OK to exchange the mounting left right side of transmitter and receiver?

[​IMG]

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Make sure the lenses are clean. 99% of the time that is the problem. You might even have condensation building up on the lens that would diffuse the beam. Not much you are going to be able to do about that.

3. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    It would be helpful if you posted the model number for the garage door opener and told us what the "detector" is supposed to do. A schematic would be very helpful.

Did this problem only start happening when the weather got cold? How much colder than when it was working? Have you tried heating things to a "warm" temperature to see if they start working?

4. LAOADAM

Nov 21, 2018
    1. the lenses may be a problem, because it is only one side has it, I don't know when lost the other one, thing is it works so many years as was;
    2. the module name: Craftsman Garage Door Opener 1/2 HP. The 'detector' is what I mentioned the 'receiver', and other one called EMITTER.
    When I said it may 'because of the winter cold', I may not that seriously, but now I can seriously say it. Because it is three times repeat till now, I put the receiver inside for 1/2 hour and it works for few minutes. also the troubles occurred recently.
    Sorry I don't have a schematic.
    Thanks.

5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    There is your problem. Buy a new emitter / receiver. .

6. MisterBill2

Jan 23, 2018
    If the lens has come off then the only hope is to find it and put it back, or replace the thing and install it where it will not be bumped. Right by the bottom of the garage door, those I have needed to service were always getting bumped and becoming mis-aligned. Also, they do become dirty and that is always a problem.

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I have a Craftsman model that works OK in the winter and it gets down to -40c here.
    But that looks like an older model?
    Max.

8. MisterBill2

Jan 23, 2018
    Dirt and misalignment of the safety sensors is usually the problem. And the sensors are provided because you can't fix stupid. I always walk around my car behind before I back out. And if there are kids anyplace I make sure I can see where they are inn the clear before moving at all.
    An unsafe option would be to move the sensors so that they are very close to each other, but it would lose that alleged safety function.

9. LAOADAM

Nov 21, 2018
    Thank for all replies.
    Here please let me put some information update:

1. the lens has come off for years, only this year the receiver not working good, and I am sure now it is because of the cold, one thing make me curious is it is not very cold yet.
    2. I have changed the other two capacitance nothing improved. I guess the reason may be the Infrared receiver element, a very old name: s3x, can I use other Infrared receiver element?
    3. I bought a pair new sensors, should I move the lens into the old sensor or just install the new sensors? I am not sure if the opener can take the signal because it is different version.
    4. BTW, searched in Google, there are lot of garage door cold troubles.
    Best.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  10. MisterBill2

Jan 23, 2018
    If it is not too much work to install the new sensors I would try that first, and if it solves the problem, great. If not, the trick of putting the two sensors together so that the beam from one goes right into the other may solve your problem. Unfortunately, the priority of "safety" exceeds by far the priority of actually functioning as needed today. So understand that the fix suggested leaves the door with no automated means of stopping other than the overload detection system. Thus you will need to watch the door every time that you close it.