G4 Lamp Base Substitute

Lesliev

Joined Jan 13, 2021
Hello, I am hoping I am posting in the correct section of AAC but if not please let me know what forum would be better suited for the following question.
I am building a small, battery operated table lamp. I have sourced a LED array bulb that requires 6v and max 500ma. for the initial prototype I will be using 4xAA cells to provide the 6v. All that is pretty simple to manage. The main problem I have is the LED array has two pins suited for a G4 lamp holder(4mm spacing) and while those are common holders and easily obtained they are really designed for a halogen bulb. For me this means the thinner pins on my LED result in a very loose connection and the LED is too easily displaced. Additionally the inbuilt G4 wires are designed for the heavier current loads of a Halogen lamp and are way heavier and therefore stiffer and less flexible than the 22AWG I would like to use. And finally because of the very low heat output of the LED the ceramic base of the standard G4 essentially just gets in the way!
My question is has anyone had any experience with a better method for mounting an LED like I am using or can advise of any G4 base that is suitable for low loads and voltage and might give a more robust connection for my LED and allow me to use say 20AWG wire?
Bit of a long shot question I know but you guys on AAC have been so helpful with previous questions I am hoping someone may have already wrestled with and solved this question.
Final note: I have a 3D printer and have considered printing a holder into which I can insert female JST connections but that is all pretty tiny so has its own set of problems.
Thanks in advance for any help,

Lesliev

Joined Jan 13, 2021
Hello Tonyr1084, I buy the lamps from a local supplier in Perth, Western Australia and buy called Horner Bawden. Their website is http://www.hornerbawden.com.au/ but that is a very simple site and they dont show much on it about their products just ask visitors to get in touch.
I have attached a photo of the lamp and its package. The lamps come from Orbitec (www.orbitec.fr) in France. Not sure what help this will be in my question but hope it is of some value to you.
Regards

Attachments

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
It's more helpful than you think. It's apparently a 3 watt bulb at 6 volts. 3W ÷ 6V = 0.5A. Depending on the battery, it can be 2 to 3 Amp Hour (3aH). At that rate the lamp would be lit for six hours at best, with it dimming as they weaken. Four hours if the battery is a 2aH battery.

The reason why I asked for the source is because I want to know if it's the same as the halogen version. You're reporting that the pins are smaller and tend to fall out of the socket. So trying to compare the two different types of bulbs would require knowing more details. Unfortunately I don't speak French, so the website is of little use to me. It appears they want me to accept some terms of service, which I'm not willing to click on something I can't tell for sure what it is.

If you have the original halogen bulb take a photograph of them side by side. Hopefully we can tell more about the pins by a visual comparison.

Good luck with your project.

Lesliev

Joined Jan 13, 2021
Hello Tonyr1084,
Thank you for your help I appreciate it. I understand what you mean about the Halogen lamp and have compared the pins on the halogen to the pins on the LED. The Halogen pins are 1.5mm diameter and the LED pins are 0.7mm diameter. The G4 is designed primarily to be used with the thicker halogen pins and when that lamp is inserted it gives a reasonably secure connection. The LED pins are far less secure when inserted.
However since posting the original question I have found the G4 sockets shown in the attached image and they are certainly superior to the ones I had previously although the connection is not as secure as the halogen lamp as would be expected. These G4 also solve a problem of the wire being far more flexible than the earlier G4 I had although for the very low voltage and current required they are still well over sized.
It is a bit surprising in this day when low voltage LED lamps are so readily available that a purpose designed and made holder is not readily available for them but I am sure that will eventually come.
I have attached a new image showing the items I am working with and any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated so thank you again.
Regards

Attachments

rick.curl

Joined Jul 14, 2020
Why not just solder the pins? The Halogen lamp needed a socket so the bulb could be replaced when it failed. You shouldn't have that problem with an LED retrofit.