FUSING NEUTRALS

LeeMoss1980

Joined Aug 22, 2018
Hi there,

I have a query, I am looking to design a panel to bs en 60204.

We ship these panels to UK, USA and europe

I appreaiacite that fusing neutrals can on a fixed installs are considered a no no but on machinary with a plug that could be reversed in certain territories is it permitted to fuse both live and neutral

Regards
Lee

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What is the nature of the machinery?
If this is machinery, presumably you also have earth ground so I assume it is a (non-reversable) 3 pin plug?
If so the only way to reverse is if the socket is wired that way.
As a general rule, most jurisdictions frown on fusing a neutral.
Max.

LeeMoss1980

Joined Aug 22, 2018
If this is machinery, presumably you also have earth ground so I assume it is a (non-reversable) 3 pin plug?
If so the only way to reverse is if the socket is wired that way.
Max.
While in the UK we have a 3 pin plug, in other countries the machine will be plugged in via a 2 pin plug

there is 2 pin unpolorized and 2 pin polorized plugs in the US. The neutral is wider. in the US, we don't have fuses in our plugs.

I worked on only one piece of equipment that had a 208 3 phase 90 Amp power source that had a breaker in the neutral.

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
Max.
This statement is simply untrue.

IEC/EN 60950-1 covering the safety of IT equipment permits neutral fusing (together with the live) albeit with a marked warning of such on the product.

IEC/EN 60601 covering the safety of medical equipment mandates fusing of both live and neutral.

LeeMoss1980

Joined Aug 22, 2018
This statement is simply untrue.

IEC/EN 60950-1 covering the safety of IT equipment permits neutral fusing (together with the live) albeit with a marked warning of such on the product.

IEC/EN 60601 covering the safety of medical equipment mandates fusing of both live and neutral.
I believe that under 60204 it is indeed frowned upon as it states that a neutral can not be disconnected and leave a live present

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
There is only one safe way to do this and fuse is not it.
use a breaker double pole.

You want both to shut off a live hot and cut neutral and you become the return path is one hell of a shock if not kill you.