function generator to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmowziz

Joined Jan 18, 2019
Planet earth..you?

Yeah I know it does but for example period of 3 ms. How to do this if you can only change frequency ?

Last edited:

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Yes, Period, Amplitude, Duty Cycle, Frequency, Amplitude, Offset all can
be changed. Can also use in sweep mode. Can handle standard waveforms
as well as custom you create with a GUI.

Google reviews on both and compare.

Regards, Dana.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes, Period, Amplitude, Duty Cycle, Frequency, Amplitude, Offset all can
be changed. Can also use in sweep mode. Can handle standard waveforms
as well as custom you create with a GUI.

Google reviews on both and compare.

Regards, Dana.
Are you suggesting that period and frequency can be changed independently? How? That was the crux of the TS's question.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Not suggesting period and frequency can be changed independently, that would be if we
are in a parallel universe :).

F = 1 / T, T = 1 / F

You change the F in the GUI or on the touch interface panel, by doing so you have
changed the period.

Regards, Dana.

iggnator

Joined Jan 30, 2019
This is a good generator and will save you some dough. Do an Excel
comparison of the capabilities to see if Siglent is worth the extra $$.

https://www.banggood.com/FY6600-Dig....html?rmmds=search&ID=530531&cur_warehouse=CN

Regards, Dana.
DO NOT BUY this older version. It does not have an IEC connector, and has many other issues. The membrane switches have been converted to real push button in a newer design.
Look at this, probably can find a better price;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...f5-4831-aa97-003c7d8ff1e1&transAbTest=ae803_3

There is a whole discussion on EEVBLOG for this unit.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It is unlikely that you will get your money's worth buying this. You be better off and learn much more by building your own simple function generator.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
This is a good generator and will save you some dough. Do an Excel
comparison of the capabilities to see if Siglent is worth the extra $$.

https://www.banggood.com/FY6600-Dig....html?rmmds=search&ID=530531&cur_warehouse=CN

Regards, Dana.[/QUOTE
Danadak sry 2 sound like I'm jumping all over your advice (cuz I know you're trying to help him save money) but even just being _snot-nosed_ millennial that I am, I say STAND ALONE EQUIP IS *ALWAYS* BEST WAY TO GO:cool:!

@dmowziz if u need a bargain just pick up old BK 4040! It has all those features (D/C, sweep, offset, attenuator, continuous wave shape adjustment, FC and so on) with HUGE advantage of being real equipment w/o all that 3'rd party software and compatibly BS of PC and phone _accessories_ they try to pass off as legit test equip!

for example period of 3 ms. How to do this if you can only change frequency ?
dmowizz if u promise not to trip me:p I can tell u to just set freq of 50% D/C waveform to 333+1/3 Hz and if u want just 1 pulse on demand, trigger it as _one-shot_:)!

Last edited:

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Sorry about the link. I bought the push button version Dec/2018, Banggood, for $ 86,
free shipping. I like the generator so far, the GUI control program much better than
the prior version of the old generator w/o display. So I am satisfied. By the way I had
not noticed one was membrane vs push button. I have to admit membrane takes a
little more force and on these light weight instruments, and moves them across work
bench when you are trying to change a parameter.

Note I find I use GUI primarily to control, not the buttons. But buttons do make
unit stand alone which can be handy at times.

The disadvantage of these low end units are the non sine waveforms all crap out/
distort, at a lot lower freq than the $ 300 - $ 500 generators. But I have never had
the need to generate a 50 Mhz ramp or Triangle.. That being said I am sure someone
out there has those requirements.

Regards, Dana.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Are you suggesting that period and frequency can be changed independently? How? That was the crux of the TS's question.
Going out on a limb here.. I'm guessing we're having a language issue. Perhaps the OP wants to know if there is the option to change the signal either by adjusting the frequency, or the period. The end result is the same, but the units you see on the screen would be different (Hz vs. Time), providing the convenience of not having to do the math depending on which units are convenient to work with at that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.