Full 8bit CPU project, best ever made

analoguealchemist1986

Joined Nov 28, 2017
Hi there

I want to share with you guys my project, which is the best ever 8bit homebrew cpu.

Schematics available, photos available, videos available for free !

Here is a videos for you guys:

Now, this cpu executes a very complex instruction set.

Any questions ?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Can you show us the block diagram and instruction set of your CPU?

What are the innovations in your CPU design. Have you plan an assembler for the new instruction set?

How do you enter programs into the CPU?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I did one simple 4 bit TTL cpu back in the 90s and the next one I am going to build is this one...

http://www.bigmessowires.com/nibbler/

I am still collecting parts and breadboards and once complete I will start to construct it on breadboard first then on PCB.
I am also reading on the using of FPGA here.

Once the nibbler is working I'd start to port it to FPGA a small portion at a time.
nibbler-architecture-v4.png

Might take me one to two years as I am very slow on hardware nowadays.

Allen

analoguealchemist1986

Joined Nov 28, 2017
I did one simple 4 bit TTL cpu back in the 90s and the next one I am going to build is this one...

http://www.bigmessowires.com/nibbler/

I am still collecting parts and breadboards and once complete I will start to construct it on breadboard first then on PCB.
I am also reading on the using of FPGA here.

Once the nibbler is working I'd start to port it to FPGA a small portion at a time.
View attachment 140523

Might take me one to two years as I am very slow on hardware nowadays.

Allen

You are doing the nibbler cpu ? Why?

analoguealchemist1986

Joined Nov 28, 2017
Can you show us the block diagram and instruction set of your CPU?

What are the innovations in your CPU design. Have you plan an assembler for the new instruction set?

How do you enter programs into the CPU?

I used to enter progs with some dip switches, then I decided to add an eeprom to a few ports, so I enter the progs in the computer and write to the eeprom with a programmer, much easier!

philba

Joined Aug 17, 2017
I remember in grad school we did a 1-hot controller for an 8 bit cpu before we were allowed to move up to bit-slice stuff with microcoding. That really took me to much deeper understanding of what a computer was. I don't have the patience to build machines like that these days but it's a great learning exercise.