Frequency Gen. HF Amplifier Circuit

SteTrat

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Hi all,

This is my first post and as background Information, i am a Msc Chemist student with no electronics education.
During my Msc Thesis i had to deal with equivalent circuits, Ltspice and impedance spectroscopy, which is quite easy now for me to understand.
But everything beyond that, i have no idea what´s going in a circuit.

At the moment i am dealing with this project: adapted from https://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/365324?goto=4110506#4110506
It is a Frequency Generator Amplifier with the following specs:

Amplification: ~ 20db
max Voltage Output: ~10 V
max Current Output: ~ 300 mA
Frequency Range: -3db @ ~10Mhz

My goal is it to build this.
But what do i need to be aware of?

- Heat managment, is a heatsink required for some components ?
- EM-Radiation, a faradaic enclosure, because i have no idea if this acts like an antenna, and i dont want someone to knock at the door...
- The Power supply, is this bipolar and how can it be realized ?

-Anything else ?

Greets from Austria

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Welcome to the site. Nice to see another chemist joining me.

What you show is a mid-grade, medium power, "power amplifier" intended for fairly high frequencies and gain of 10.

The basic layout is the same as the 12 W RMS amplifier from an old TAB electronics book. That book goes into detail about what every transistor, resistor and capacitor does. After you get through the 12 W amplifier, then you can read through the detail of a 100 W amp that is deemed "professional Grade".

I recommend you buy the book, should be available used on eBay.

In summary, from left to right, you have two transistors that make a "differential amplifier" and output is sent to a third transistor that acts as a Class A amplifier. The collector of that class A is connected to another transistor and Red LED. That transistor and LED make a constant current source to feed the Class A amplifier which greatly reduces distortion in the class A amp.

The last stage of transistors is a class AB amplifier (push/pull amplifier). The diodes on the Class A section bias the push/pull output stage. The push/pull outputs has the high power transistors. That output also has resistors connecting back to the differential input. This is called feedback and controls the gain and insures the signal tracks the waveform of the input, essentially correcting for differentials in the output load or gain (Hf) of the specific transistors you have.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: