frequencies used by mobiles

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Please check with your mobile phone service provider to determine what standard they support and consult the table to which Bertus linked in post #2 of this thread. By then you should know the frequencies and the standard communications protocol(s) and you can determine the (rather complex) details of decoding the signals from the standards.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Frequency of what? Radio signal? Ultrasound?
Do you simply want to know if the frequency is present or not, or do you want to measure the actual frequency value?
What is the amplitude of the signal?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
if you use a germanium transistor, the voltage will drop. some actually begin to conduct at .12 volts. silicon transistors have been used in crystal radios with a bit of bias applied.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I think you did NOT* get the right specification. Cell phones work at much higher frequencies. There might be some wireless phone system such as ship-to-shore that works in the lower MHz bands, but cell phones need more channels than you could get in a lowe MHz band.

You might want to check again and also get the name of the standard. As an example, where I live GSM 900 MHz and GSM 1800 MHz are popular. Then there are layers on top of those standards.

* Edit: added word "NOT"

Last edited:

harikanaidu

Joined Nov 28, 2014
I think you did NOT* get the right specification. Cell phones work at much higher frequencies. There might be some wireless phone system such as ship-to-shore that works in the lower MHz bands, but cell phones need more channels than you could get in a lowe MHz band.

You might want to check again and also get the name of the standard. As an example, where I live GSM 900 MHz and GSM 1800 MHz are popular. Then there are layers on top of those standards.

* Edit: added word "NOT"
yess my mobile works in 1800MHZ band

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I think we have visited this question before and failed to give you the information you seek. Please what you mean by "detect". If you just want to flash a light or wiggle a meter's needle, that is easy, If you want to decode the signal so that you can listen to voice communications or text messages for that phone, that is very difficult to achieve unless you clone the phone, and the SIM card (if it has one) in particular.

What, exactly, do you want to do?

harikanaidu

Joined Nov 28, 2014
I think we have visited this question before and failed to give you the information you seek. Please what you mean by "detect". If you just want to flash a light or wiggle a meter's needle, that is easy, If you want to decode the signal so that you can listen to voice communications or text messages for that phone, that is very difficult to achieve unless you clone the phone, and the SIM card (if it has one) in particular.

What, exactly, do you want to do?
I want to learn how to detect the phone signal...i.e if there is any phone sending a msg or call or receiving any message or call in a class room
my circuit should detect it and buzzer should ring