FreeSprit Treadmill Motor Controller - 12 wires

Rovernomore

Joined Mar 27, 2021
Just picked up a dumped treadmill, FreeSpirit by Dyaco. The motor control board on this machine is different than any previous one I have seen. It is labelled YJ-2250L dated 2007/06/21. It has 12 wires from the panel down to the motor board (most have only 8 wires), labelled:
S/W - Black wire
DOWN - Brown
UP - Orange
VCC - Red
FAST - Yellow
SLOW - Blue
GND - Green
SPD - Violet
SPD - Grey
VR-1 - white
VR-2 - Pink
VR-3 - L/Green

I expect the S/W is the safety switch; up and down are self explanatory; VCC is normal (perhaps 12V or 5V); fast and slow are different to any other board I have worked on; speed (2 connectors) probably read the magnetic reed switch for belt speed; BUT the last 3, labelled VR 1, 2 and 3 I cannot figure out. Any ideas?

Does anyone know this board? Does it require pulses of VCC or Ground to the fast/slow pins, as it does not seem to use a potentiometer or PWM circuit?
Photo to follow as soon as I can.

Rovernomore

Joined Mar 27, 2021
Possibly VR = Variable resistor, i.e. POT?
Or some variation of it.
Thank you Max, long time since we've met here. Good suggestion on the pot. However there is no pot on the main panel, and as well, why would it need FAST and SLOW wires?

Here is the control board. Any ideas on its type?
FreeSpiritTreadmillBoardSm.JPG

Rovernomore

Joined Mar 27, 2021
I got the system running with the full treadmill control panel. I see that the PWM LED on the motor board does light up while the motor turns, and the motor changes speed when told to from the control panel. However it only gets 25-30 volts maximum, so runs at less than half speed. Not sure why yet.
So I guess the next step is to determine which of the 12 pins is really the PWM signal.
Thanks for your input.

rplatko

Joined Jun 30, 2023
I got the system running with the full treadmill control panel. I see that the PWM LED on the motor board does light up while the motor turns, and the motor changes speed when told to from the control panel. However it only gets 25-30 volts maximum, so runs at less than half speed. Not sure why yet.
So I guess the next step is to determine which of the 12 pins is really the PWM signal.
Thanks for your input.
Hi, I'm a new registrant. I have the same board. Did you have any luck figuring out the signal of the 12 pins? Or possibly a schematic diagram?

rplatko

Joined Jun 30, 2023
Hi, I'm a new registrant. I have the same board. Did you have any luck figuring out the signal of the 12 pins? Or possibly a schematic diagram?
I just found the service manual for this treadmill: Sears C249 30533 0 Service Manual. It uses the YJ-2250L board