Forum attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Oh, man, I had this post all finished, and accidentally deleted it!
Anyhow, thanks, Dave. You have done the world a great service!:D
I previewed the full-size graphics, and they looked good, so I am including smaller versions.
On the other forum I lurk in, many members use LTspice (SwitcherCAD III) from Linear Technology for simulations. For that reason, the administrators have added .ASC to the allowable postable file extensions. By importing the .ASC file into LTspice, members are able to duplicate a simulation without having to redraw the schematic. I don't know if there is enough interest in LTspice here to warrant adding this (or maybe it's no big deal), but you might want to consider it.

Thanks,
Ron

Attachments

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Oh, man, I had this post all finished, and accidentally deleted it!
Anyhow, thanks, Dave. You have done the world a great service!:D
I previewed the full-size graphics, and they looked good, so I am including smaller versions.
On the other forum I lurk in, many members use LTspice (SwitcherCAD III) from Linear Technology for simulations. For that reason, the administrators have added .ASC to the allowable postable file extensions. By importing the .ASC file into LTspice, members are able to duplicate a simulation without having to redraw the schematic. I don't know if there is enough interest in LTspice here to warrant adding this (or maybe it's no big deal), but you might want to consider it.

Thanks,
Ron
Good stuff Ron, I'm glad it worked. I have kept a sensible limit on the file size for obvious reasons, but for the vast majority of images this will be no problem.

The .ASC file type can be easily added. Can I ask what sort of file size (kB) are we looking at so I can play with the settings? (If you're not sure I'll set it at an arbitrary limit and see how it goes from there). If it helps our members then it is worthwhile adding it; I do know several members here use LTSpice.

Dave

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Good stuff Ron, I'm glad it worked. I have kept a sensible limit on the file size for obvious reasons, but for the vast majority of images this will be no problem.

The .ASC file type can be easily added. Can I ask what sort of file size (kB) are we looking at so I can play with the settings? (If you're not sure I'll set it at an arbitrary limit and see how it goes from there). If it helps our members then it is worthwhile adding it; I do know several members here use LTSpice.

Dave
Dave, the biggest .ASC I could find in my rather extensive collection of sims is 8k. I have posted it below with a .txt extension, so you can read it. I have also posted the schematic (which I apparently never completed) that it will create when imported into LTspice. Typical schematics will also include spice directives, node names (if they have been added), comments, etc. I suppose .ASC files might reach 50k, if they were very large schematics.

Ron

Attachments

GS3

Joined Sep 21, 2007
Here's my $0.02 on the issue of attachments:

I would set a size limit equal for all files, maybe in the order of 80~100KB, which is more than sufficient. I see no reason to allow 2 MB in ZIP and 19 KB in GIF. It makes no sense.

As far as pixel size I see no reason to limit it at all if the file will just show as an attachment. Why care? Just limit the file size the same for all file types.

I would add the possibility of having a graphic show in the body of a post because it helps to see a small diagram or graph while reading the post rather than to have to download it separately. In that case it would make sense to limit the pixel size, especially width, so that huge graphics which require horizontal scrolling are avoided. Until now when I have wanted to do this I have hosted the graph in Photobucket but that is a PITA and that file will one day disappear from there anyway. It makes more sense to have it hosted here.

To posters I recommend you learn the basics of graphic formats. PNG is best for diagrams and JPG for photos. JPG just degrades diagrams and makes their file size larger. Look at the pixel size and the file size of this attachment. Now try JPG and see what you get in both regards.

Choose a sensible pixel size and file size. People who do things like post a small diagram in the corner of a large, otherwise empty, white, graphic and further use JPG deserve to be shot. If they further ZIP the file they deserve to be shot twice.

PDF should be avoided at all costs except for finished documents which are meant to be printed and it is essential that the formatting remain unchanged. Using PDF just to share a graphic file is unforgivable. Don't do it.

Attachments

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave, the biggest .ASC I could find in my rather extensive collection of sims is 8k. I have posted it below with a .txt extension, so you can read it. I have also posted the schematic (which I apparently never completed) that it will create when imported into LTspice. Typical schematics will also include spice directives, node names (if they have been added), comments, etc. I suppose .ASC files might reach 50k, if they were very large schematics.

Ron
Thanks for the information Ron, ASC files have been added with a 100kB limit per attachment. Let me know if this is too little and we can review the situation.

Here's my $0.02 on the issue of attachments:

I would set a size limit equal for all files, maybe in the order of 80~100KB, which is more than sufficient. I see no reason to allow 2 MB in ZIP and 19 KB in GIF. It makes no sense.

As far as pixel size I see no reason to limit it at all if the file will just show as an attachment. Why care? Just limit the file size the same for all file types.

I would add the possibility of having a graphic show in the body of a post because it helps to see a small diagram or graph while reading the post rather than to have to download it separately. In that case it would make sense to limit the pixel size, especially width, so that huge graphics which require horizontal scrolling are avoided. Until now when I have wanted to do this I have hosted the graph in Photobucket but that is a PITA and that file will one day disappear from there anyway. It makes more sense to have it hosted here.

To posters I recommend you learn the basics of graphic formats. PNG is best for diagrams and JPG for photos. JPG just degrades diagrams and makes their file size larger. Look at the pixel size and the file size of this attachment. Now try JPG and see what you get in both regards.

Choose a sensible pixel size and file size. People who do things like post a small diagram in the corner of a large, otherwise empty, white, graphic and further use JPG deserve to be shot. If they further ZIP the file they deserve to be shot twice.

PDF should be avoided at all costs except for finished documents which are meant to be printed and it is essential that the formatting remain unchanged. Using PDF just to share a graphic file is unforgivable. Don't do it.
Thanks for the comments GS3.

I agree with the idea that images should not be limited by pixel dimensions, but by filesize. Comments on the following are welcome:

- Modifications made: No pixel limits on any image, all files restricted to maximum 100kB per attachment.
- I will for the moment leave DOC, PDF and ZIP files at 2MB - this can be open to discussion, however I have seen several instances with these files where this limit would be appropriate.
- There is an option to put in a thumbnail preview, however I am not sure at the moment how it works. From what I can infer, the thumbnail preview is too small to read any detail, and the user would need to open the attachment anyway. Additionally, I am not sure if there is an overhead associated with the look-up - probably not.

Furthermore I agree with your suggestions of which format for different images, therefore will update the posting guides to reflect your suggestions for images.

Any further comments are welcome.

Dave