Foot throttle for brushed motors

socast

Joined Feb 21, 2018
Hi all,
Ive got a child’s ride on car, I’ve bought a new speed controller that comes with a dash mount pot throttle. I’ve looked around and can’t seem to find any foot throttles that aren’t Hall effect.
I have a Hall effect foot throttle I can butcher but I’m not sure what model of pot to get and install. It will need to be 5k but the range of movement needs to be around 70 degrees, but again, I can’t seem to find anything. Please help haha

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Just thinking out loud.
Throttle peddle attached to a mini gear rack and a pot with a mating gear.
Throttle peddle attached to one end of a length of timing belt with a spring on the opposite end. Timing pulley on the pot.
Ken

socast

Joined Feb 21, 2018
Just thinking out loud.
Throttle peddle attached to a mini gear rack and a pot with a mating gear.
Throttle peddle attached to one end of a length of timing belt with a spring on the opposite end. Timing pulley on the pot.
Ken
Sounds like a lot of work haha, I would be better to use a slide pot, I did come across a ‘plunger pot’ which would be ideal, but it’s just over £30

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Might want it to be self retuning?
If you can cut wood wheels & have some timing belt you have it. Say pot gear is 2" dia. & turns 270 deg., 4" rad. arc foot pedal gear; measure off 4.7" on circum. & behold = 67 deg. gives full pot. rotation. I would use contact cement to attach timing belt to gears. Add a spring from pot mounting & pot gear for return.
Looking at some timing belts, 2 mm pitch seems too fine, 7.5 mm too coarse, maybe .25" or 5 mm?

Last edited: