FMCW radar

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It might help if you were a bit more specific on what you want. As it is, all anyone can offer up is anything that happens to in any way qualify as an "FMCW radar (module) in the sub 24 GHz range". We don't know if this is for a commercial ship or a toy robot. We don't know if a range of 10 m is too much or 1000 km is too short. We don't know if $20 is too much or $20,000 is a bargain. Why send people on a wild goose chase? What are your requirements and limitations?

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
It might help if you were a bit more specific on what you want. As it is, all anyone can offer up is anything that happens to in any way qualify as an "FMCW radar (module) in the sub 24 GHz range". We don't know if this is for a commercial ship or a toy robot. We don't know if a range of 10 m is too much or 1000 km is too short. We don't know if $20 is too much or $20,000 is a bargain. Why send people on a wild goose chase? What are your requirements and limitations?
I am still learning it myself, so there are a lots I am still not sure.

So we want something that can detect the presence of a person (and we don't want PIR, we need to be fairly confidence that whatever detected is a person, not moving remote control toy/cat/dog), in the range of about 10M. price in the hundreds are OK. We want to put it in residential housing.

In fact, it doesn't need to be sub 24GHz. I see some from TI, they are all 50-70Ghz. But the range is very short. That's why I think lower frequency can get a longer range.

Any thoughts?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
mmmm, that's a bit pricy...
Well RF and medium power is going to be pricey regardless. The cost of the test equipment alone to develop such things would choke a herd of horses. Good luck finding something for even a quarter to a third of that price,

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Well RF and medium power is going to be pricey regardless. The cost of the test equipment alone to develop such things would choke a herd of horses. Good luck finding something for even a quarter to a third of that price,
Yeah agree. I was hoping there is something commercially available that are massively produced, so I can get it for decent price.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There are microwave proximity switches that are in the hundred dollar range, but I am not sure that they will detect humans.
And what is wrong with PIR? The detection is determined by that lens, mostly.
There are also smart cameras that may provide the functionality I am guessing you seek.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
There are also microwave security system sensors, and microwave door opener sensors, and so those may be areas that will yield what you are seeking. They would usually be powered with 24 volts DC, I don't know if that would be convenient for you or not. But they are fairly small and fairly good.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
There are microwave proximity switches that are in the hundred dollar range, but I am not sure that they will detect humans.
And what is wrong with PIR? The detection is determined by that lens, mostly.
There are also smart cameras that may provide the functionality I am guessing you seek.
You mean there are PIR that can detect humans only?

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
There are also microwave security system sensors, and microwave door opener sensors, and so those may be areas that will yield what you are seeking. They would usually be powered with 24 volts DC, I don't know if that would be convenient for you or not. But they are fairly small and fairly good.
I don't know anything about microwave security system sensors, can you to so kind to provide a link to one? Can be anyone, just want to have a read what they are.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Ultrasonic Motion Detectors (UDM's) are cheaper. They are also less sensitive. Or at least the ones I recall working on.

I have a security camera system that detects motion. It's highly adjustable. Right now I detect the presence of cats and anything larger. But what's detected has to be close enough for the detection. And such a system like mine cost over $500. And mine is no where near top of the line.