Flyback Transformer design

sunil0790

Joined Feb 11, 2013
There are basically 2 ways to design a Flyback transformer.

1. By first calculating the Inductor value first and calculate the Primary peak Current.
2. Vice versa.

In the first method, the inductance is less, whereas the semiconductor devices current is very high. And in the second method, Inductance is very high and the Semiconductor currents are very less.

What is the major advantage and disadvantage of both? Which method is often preferred, for high reliable and continuous operation at max power..

sunil0790

Joined Feb 11, 2013
Are you referring to a switch mode power supply transformer design?
If so, the output current and voltage and the input voltage range, along with the frequency of operation is where you start.
Maxim had some good info that I used years ago. One I found on line just now is...
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1897
TI also has it. A search will give you quite a few design tools.
I think i have been misunderstood, I am well versed with the Flyback(SMPS transformer design, but the question was after all the input and output parameters are designed, there are basically 2 different approaches,

1. First one, starts finding the Inductance value and then the Inductance peak current and goes on, This is the most common method used. I notice that Inductance value is less and the peak current high, which makes me use Higher current rated devices and heat generated on the Semiconductors are also more.

2. The second method, which is described in the Holy book, Transformer and Inductor design handbook by Mclyman, He starts with the Inductor Peak current and then the Inductance value, In this approach, The semiconductors currents are very less.

So My question now is,
1. Which is considered the better method, in terms of thermal performance?
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the method?