Florite - Hydrofluoric Acid

ben sorenson

Joined Feb 28, 2022
I've been searching other sites to post this question, but I'm having trouble finding one so if anyone has any knowledge in this area it would be greatly appreciated or send me to a better forum/site.

Question:

Several months ago I was experimenting with high voltages in the range of 50-100kv CaF (florite) stones and water. I was generating a high voltage, to where I was able to pass a high current through the stone, until it was illuminated. As the current was passing through the stone there was water being injected into a chamber with the florite stone. This was during the summer at the same time my allergies we real bad and my chest was on/off intermittent stinging, but I have allergies and I smoke so I shrugged it off as from the combination of both of those things. Reading more into the properties of CaF I found out and discovered Hydrofluoric Acid and the extreme dangers associated with it. So paranoid about all of the horror stories I ceased the experiment using the CaF stones in experiments. My question is that was I just being paranoid, or is there a genuine probably that with the combination of the stone, water, electricity and heat that Hydrofluoric Acid in either a vapor,liquid or residue could have been created by thermionic emission or another process? I was under the assumption after reading articles about ithat you needed the sulfuric acid component to make it. I'm definitely not trying to make it, that's why I stopped the experiment just concerned there was a possibility of it being created.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Just kind of being funny. Was the water contained in glass? Was it etched or did it dissolve during your experiment?

One place my wife worked the used hydrofluoric acid to etch stuff on glass but then changed to doing it with sand blasting, less danger to the workers.

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
I've been searching other sites to post this question, but I'm having trouble finding one so if anyone has any knowledge in this area it would be greatly appreciated or send me to a better forum/site.

Question:

Several months ago I was experimenting with high voltages in the range of 50-100kv CaF (florite) stones and water. I was generating a high voltage, to where I was able to pass a high current through the stone, until it was illuminated. As the current was passing through the stone there was water being injected into a chamber with the florite stone. This was during the summer at the same time my allergies we real bad and my chest was on/off intermittent stinging, but I have allergies and I smoke so I shrugged it off as from the combination of both of those things. Reading more into the properties of CaF I found out and discovered Hydrofluoric Acid and the extreme dangers associated with it. So paranoid about all of the horror stories I ceased the experiment using the CaF stones in experiments. My question is that was I just being paranoid, or is there a genuine probably that with the combination of the stone, water, electricity and heat that Hydrofluoric Acid in either a vapor,liquid or residue could have been created by thermionic emission or another process? I was under the assumption after reading articles about ithat you needed the sulfuric acid component to make it. I'm definitely not trying to make it, that's why I stopped the experiment just concerned there was a possibility of it being created.
Im not a medical doctor,
but my first thought is, if in doubt, see doctor for a chest check up

In your experiments, was there less CaF2 at the end than you started ?
was there steam / smoke ?

CaF2 is incredible hard to split
and is used in all sort of products as filler,

but

Take look here, seems to sum things up
https://www.products.pcc.eu/en/blog/what-are-the-properties-and-applications-of-calcium-fluoride/

Is calcium fluoride harmful? Just like any other chemical substance, calcium fluoride may cause a number of unpleasant ailments of the respiratory and digestive systems, if misused. Under laboratory conditions, the inhalation of CaF2 fumes causes burns of internal organs and even leads to pulmonary oedema. What are the dangers my result from the digestion of calcium fluoride? The crystal causes diffuse poisoning whose symptoms include stomach aches, diarrhoeas and tingling in limbs. The contact of calcium fluoride with the eye mucosa causes redness and burning.

I'd be worried as to what the heck it was I was breathing in

ben sorenson

Joined Feb 28, 2022
Just kind of being funny. Was the water contained in glass? Was it etched or did it dissolve during your experiment?

One place my wife worked the used hydrofluoric acid to etch stuff on glass but then changed to doing it with sand blasting, less danger to the workers.
No, it wasn't in a glass. It was being injected into a non sealed chamber with the stone.

ben sorenson

Joined Feb 28, 2022
Im not a medical doctor,

but

https://www.products.pcc.eu/en/blog/what-are-the-properties-and-applications-of-calcium-fluoride/

Is calcium fluoride harmful? Just like any other chemical substance, calcium fluoride may cause a number of unpleasant ailments of the respiratory and digestive systems, if misused. Under laboratory conditions, the inhalation of CaF2 fumes causes burns of internal organs and even leads to pulmonary oedema. What are the dangers my result from the digestion of calcium fluoride? The crystal causes diffuse poisoning whose symptoms include stomach aches, diarrhoeas and tingling in limbs. The contact of calcium fluoride with the eye mucosa causes redness and burning.

There was steam when the water was evaporating
Im not a medical doctor,

but

There was not any less than when i started to my knowledge, but I would have to probably weigh the stone before/after to verify that. If there was it would be an extremely small amount. There was steam but I'm sure that was from the water evaporating on contact when hitting the stone. The stone was coupled to the anode in the experiment. One thing I did notice is that afterwards both the anode & cathode was embedded with the color of the stone. In this case the stone was pink/white. Is it possible to transfer non metals to metals v.i.a electrolysis? The voltage I was working was around 50kV-100kV .

Last edited: