Floating input signal class D audio

leo0001

Joined Sep 30, 2018
Hi,

I would like to build an class D audio amplifier. For this, i will probably use the following component : "IRS2092". At the beginning of the datasheet it mentions this : "Floating inputs enable easy half bridge implementation". Does it means that the signals applied on the inputs of the chip don't need to be have the same ground that the chip use ? For example I could generate externally the V+ and V- which will be applied on the push pull output stage without the need that these power rails be link to the ground of the chip ?

For further informations, here is the datasheet :
https://eu.mouser.com/datasheet/2/196/irs2092-1225204.pdf

Thanks and have a nice day :D

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It means that the input side power supply is separate from the output side power supply.
The input side is powered by VAA, VSS, and GND. The input is IN- with respect to GND.
The output side is powered by VB and VS, and VCC and COM.

I do not know why they refer to it as floating input. I would have called it floating output.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok thanks you for your answer ! And do you know why it enables easy half bridge implementation ?
I am not sure why they bring attention to this.
An H-bridge has four active output switches. A half-bridge has two output switches in a circuit topology we already call push-pull output. I do not know what is so special about this application in this chip.