Flashing LED circuit

LED

Joined Dec 27, 2006
I want to build a flashing LED circuit that will contain 12
leds. Red-green-blue-yellow. I have seen units that light up
crystal cubes that have laser cut images inside. I want the LEDs to alternate between colors in sequence. Ideally each color would stay on for 30 seconds and then fade as the next color comes on.
I know very little about electronics, but I can do the basic stuff. I have read about LEDs and I know that I have to figure the voltage and amprage to find the resistor needed for each set of three LEDs. I know that I will need to figure the voltage of all LEDs to provide sufficent power source.
I have done some test builds of just the LEDs and after burning up some and toasting some resistors (1/4 watt), I have now realized 1/2 watt resistors will be what I need to use. My problem is the timing. To be able to turn on just three LEDs at a time and then fade as the next three come on. How do I do that?
I have been reading about the 555 timer and a 4017 IC
chip and controling circuits. Yet I don't understand how to put it together so that I can accomplish what I have described. If anyone can give me some answers I would
be very greatful.
I bought three of those bases I spoke of earlier that light up the crystal cubes . The circuit boards in them all have this small black spot of what looks like epoxy. Does anyone know what is inside of that dot. It apparently is what controls the fading in and out of the different colord Leds. That is what I am trying to do!
Thanks for listening.
LED

LED

Joined Dec 27, 2006
Thank you Sir! I will investigate the site and hopefully
learn something that will get me going in the right direction. Your assistance is deeply appreciated.
LED