Fitting a new step to motorhome - relay involved

althemusicwizard

Joined Aug 9, 2016
Hi everybody,
Just found this forum and will enjoy browsing the help available here.

I'm renovating a Hymer motorhome...about 75% done. One of the jobs involves fitting a new step (a Thule 12V Double Step.)I also ordered the relay kit which enables the step to automatically retract if the user has forgotten to do, before moving off. I think I understand the circuit diagram, but as the step was expensive (over £300), I want to get the install correct.
As far as I understand, I need to locate the accessory position on the ignition, then run a wire from there to the relay 85 connector. As the wire also feeds connector 87, can I just 'piggy-back' the wire from 85 to 87. The rest of the circuit I think I understand, it was how to modify the diagram taking the buzzer out of the equation.
I was thinking of running the wire from the ignition to the step position and fitting the relay and capacitor near the step position which is towards the rear of the motorhome.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33383402@N06/28910679535/in/dateposted-public/

Thanks for any help you can give.
Al

althemusicwizard

Joined Aug 9, 2016
Thanks for the reply.
I tried using 'upload a file' but for some reason the uploader doesn't recognise my JPEG files? Maybe they're too large c. 700Kb or too small?

althemusicwizard

Joined Aug 9, 2016
I see....the uploader needs the files to be called *.jpeg, before it recognises them.

On a further note, can anybody tell me which is the accessory position on my ignition from these two molex connectors?ignition.jpeg.JPG
ignition.jpeg1.JPG
ignition.jpeg2.JPG
ignition.jpeg3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ion54

Joined Apr 9, 2013
You can find which is the accessory wire by checking which wire has 12V on it when the key is in accessory position. A lamp, or multimeter, will be required. If the key does not have accessory position marked then turn the key until you can use the radio but none of the dash lights is on.
Most of the new cars is just before "run", which turns ignition and dash board lights on.
On some older Ford cars it was counter clock rotation after park (position that allows you to remove the key from ignition switch)