Fishin' Wednesday

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Finally got a break from all of life's necessities and caught a break from the March winds to take a trip offshore. Didn't go too far out, only a few miles from the outer bar in ~40' of water to an artificial reef built from mostly the rubble of a couple of large old bridges that were replaced. Black Sea Bass weren't biting but got into a mess of Bluefish and some early Spanish Mackerels. Nothing very big but lots of em...
1617846444290.png

Capn' Sam and my Bosun Cuzn Dave
1617846601005.png

Delta prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Man! those look great!I can't wait to see you on tails from the grill did you use lighttackle?Are they good fighting fish? Did you use lures or live bait ? I bet you used squid.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Used some chinesium jigs and they almost never made it to the bottom before being hit. Even had some doubles with fish taking both the forward and tail hooks. Poor Dave was spending most of his time dehooking em for me and didn't get a chance to catch many of em. Then they quit biting... but we already had plenty to clean. We were trying to get some Black Sea Bass on the bottom but the Blues and Spanish were stacked up in the midlevels. Used squid for many years and that was what Dave was using but I've been playing with jigs lately and it has paid off big time. Only had 1 BSB keeper.

1617850329897.png
With No 4 treble hooks fore and aft. Also in Blue. 24" flurocarbon 40# leader on 80# UHMWPE braided line which is only 1/2mm dia. Need to go bigger on the leader for these toothy un's as they were shredding it. I like the braid as it doesn't stretch like mono and sets the hook faster.

Delta prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Doubles are great I love it when it happens. out here in Southern California I like going out to the 24 Mile Bank Which is the continental shelf a big drop off for yellowfin tuna
But close to the shore we hit up the oil rigs for some blue perch, opel eye
And mackerel which we use for the yellowfin tuna. It seems too long ago, got to get back out there and hope there's no large red tides that ruins everything. Are you going to throw those guys On the barbecue they look pretty tasty as is :p

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Unfortunately, here the drop-off is 100 miles out. Too far for my 20' boat and most that go there spend a couple of days out there. About the farthest I go is ~25-30 miles and only when the seas are 3' or less. 2-3' seas are my limit and 1-2' or less for going far out. Even at the drop off it is only 100' and they can catch swordfish and bluefins.

Delta prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Oh yes I love the ocean to be like bath water when I go out and back in for that matter. Normally we stick around the shorelines,kelp beds, rock outcrops, things like that. Take a look at this guy he's ugly with poisonous spines I think it's a kind of rockfish it's called the sculpin
1618021876957.png
The best tasting fish I have ever eaten
And you can't hurt it when cooking. Seriously I burned it over the grill and Cooked hell of it in the oven and it comes out great. 10 years ago there was no limit & no size limit it was considered trash fish.
And the only way you can hold them is by the bottom lip.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Sounds like the Lionfish which is on the local search and destroy list as an invasive and highly dangerous species with poisonous spines although it tastes great.