Fisher & Paykel Smart Drives

OziBob

Joined Jul 7, 2006
Hi,

Has anyone looked at using a smart drive motor out of a fisher & paykel washing machine as a heavy duty stepper motor?

Have a look at http://www.ecoinnovation.co.nz/ where they talk about using them as an alternator.

I am interested in any comments you may have.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Yea, I've seen em used as alternators and Silicon Chip published a project where one was used as the hub of a Windpowered Generator.
Both the Smartdrive and Gentle Annie's (ECS) use similar motors, and some sophisticated electronics to drive em (dont bother trying to get a circuit, F&P WONT supply em). Havn't heard of them being used as Steppers, but might work. Could use the outputs on the Heavy duty electronics to drive em I spose... wouldn't be very small steps though

OziBob

Joined Jul 7, 2006
Yes that's correct step size would be quite large but not a problem for my use. I am considering powering a minature train (the ones you sit in and haul say a dozen pasengers).

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
So why stepping..?
I assume your thinking of Battery power, so why not some sorta inverter with a variable frequency output... a "variable Speed drive" with a low voltage DC input and 230v out @ 5-50hz..??

OziBob

Joined Jul 7, 2006
I have given some thought to using apair one driven from a petrol motor as alternator and other as motor but have gone off this idea as there are potential safty issues with the high voltages and public running.