First world problems: Disney charging more for tickets

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Disney could double the price and the parks would still be packed. If you don't like what they charge then just don't go. Enough people don't go and Disney will lower their prices.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/...sts-are-stupidly-overpriced-says-twitter.html

We never went to places like this when I was a kid. My parents splurged once and we flew to Florida for a vacation. No Disney, just the beach and a visit to Sea World.

My fondest memories were camping with my dad and taking the streetcar to the county fair each year. Sometimes the simple things are the best.

People really need to get their priorities in order. They will spend thousands of dollars on a family vacation, have multiple new family cars, cell phones for everyone in the family, eat out multiple times a week yet they don't have a dime saved for a rainy day or retirement.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I agree that Disneyland is over priced and far too crowded year-round but Disneyworld is still a great value at that price (with a all parks pass) in the off season when it's freezing cold up north. It's not packed and the weather is perfect. My family spent a day in Disneyland last year. I only went inside the park for the dinner and the great night light-show, too many people for rides.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Here in Florida, Disney World is getting really old. My daughter doesn't even think it's fun anymore. They haven't updated the attractions in many years.

Busch Gardens, Tampa, OTOH, rocks. Their roller coasters are the best in Florida, IMHO.

That's where I'll be spending my cash this summer (again). Well, Seaworld, too.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Here in Florida, Disney World is getting really old. My daughter doesn't even think it's fun anymore. They haven't updated the attractions in many years.

Busch Gardens, Tampa, OTOH, rocks. Their roller coasters are the best in Florida, IMHO.

That's where I'll be spending my cash this summer (again). Well, Seaworld, too.
I went both to Disneyworld and Busch Gardens when I was kid, and although I liked Disney, it was Busch Gardens that built the fondest memories ... a few years ago I took my family to Disneyworld, and of course my kids loved it, but I wouldn't take them there a second time.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
We are hoping to get to some of these attractions in the next year or two. My daughter's ten and at the age where she would really enjoy most of this stuff. But there's definitely a limit on how much we are willing to spend.

I've only been to Disneyworld once -- in 1987 after I got released from active duty and my parents picked me up and we made a vacation out of it. I was 22 at the time. I didn't care much for most of the rides as rides -- just too old to get into it, though a couple were definitely fun -- but I was fascinated by the park itself and how things worked. We also went to Epcot Center, which I enjoyed much more, though for largely the same reason. For pure entertainment value, Sea World was by far higher on the list, though Kennedy Space Center was my personal overall favorite followed by the U.S.S. Alabama tour.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Disney could double the price and the parks would still be packed. If you don't like what they charge then just don't go. Enough people don't go and Disney will lower their prices.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/...sts-are-stupidly-overpriced-says-twitter.html

We never went to places like this when I was a kid. My parents splurged once and we flew to Florida for a vacation. No Disney, just the beach and a visit to Sea World.

My fondest memories were camping with my dad and taking the streetcar to the county fair each year. Sometimes the simple things are the best.

People really need to get their priorities in order. They will spend thousands of dollars on a family vacation, have multiple new family cars, cell phones for everyone in the family, eat out multiple times a week yet they don't have a dime saved for a rainy day or retirement.
Raising prices is the easiest thing Disney can do when customers complain that the lines are too long or the local authorities say the park is exceeding safe capacity. I'm sure their marketing people know exactly how much any given fraction of the population in each zip code is willing to spend for a Disney vacation in any particular week of the year.

The park prices are not moving too much within the year but their hotel prices and "package deals" mask the appearance of price increases or decreases pretty well.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
No biggie. Pretty much nothing has changed. The attractions have just gotten older and in a worse state of repair.
That's a shame.

One of the things my Dad and I noticed was that although the lines were very long and often involved waits of a half hour to even more than an hour, you didn't get super frustrated because the park was just so clean and beautiful -- though we also speculated that part of it was that we had so much to talk about and catch up on that we didn't care too much.

One thing we started wondering about while we were standing in line was the remarkable absence of trash on the ground anywhere that we could see. At first we speculated that the place was perhaps so special in people's minds that they unconsciously simply didn't litter. But a few minute's worth of observation destroyed that hypothesis. So we started paying attention and realized that with seconds of someone throwing something on the ground a park employee walked over and quietly picked it up (usually) or otherwise cleaned it up. They were extremely diligent in doing so. We also noticed that we never saw the garbage cans being emptied or carts of trash (or anything else) being pushed around the part.

The first opportunity we got we stopped one of them as asked and he said that before and after every break they all had to spent fifteen minutes on trash control in a pretty small area. Being limited in time and space, it was easy for them to maintain a very high energy level in keeping their assigned area clean. He also showed us how the trash cans dropped down onto a tube system that automatically transported the trash to central collection area.

The budding engineer in me wanted to see the guts of the system far more than I wanted to ride another ride -- but alas that wasn't to be.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
One of the things my Dad and I noticed was that although the lines were very long and often involved waits of a half hour to even more than an hour
A friend of mine once told me that in the mornings, the lines into the attractions are artificially made long to give the impression of a large attendance. That is, they make the customers wait in line for at least a few minutes so as to give an impression of the ride's popularity, even if the ride itself is half empty.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
We are hoping to get to some of these attractions in the next year or two. My daughter's ten and at the age where she would really enjoy most of this stuff. But there's definitely a limit on how much we are willing to spend.

I've only been to Disneyworld once -- in 1987 after I got released from active duty and my parents picked me up and we made a vacation out of it. I was 22 at the time. I didn't care much for most of the rides as rides -- just too old to get into it, though a couple were definitely fun -- but I was fascinated by the park itself and how things worked. We also went to Epcot Center, which I enjoyed much more, though for largely the same reason. For pure entertainment value, Sea World was by far higher on the list, though Kennedy Space Center was my personal overall favorite followed by the U.S.S. Alabama tour.
You will enjoy it more if you get at least a 4 day hopper pass to see all the parks without rushing. The current system with 'Magic Bands' with online ride picks and timing for passes reduces the waits on lines at the expense of the total spontaneity of just jumping on rides. We would go (using the park or hotel bus) to one of the parks in morning, leave after lunch and be back later to that or another park after non WDW activities during the day.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/bands-cards/understanding-magic-band/

My first trip to WDW was in 1976 and the previous trip before the last was in 79 so it looked like a totally new park with a lot more than just thrill rides. (there are plenty of places in Orlando for that)

I visited off season in Jan 2015 (water parks closed) with a 5 day hopper pass for all 4 parks in any day. If you stay in a WDW hotel or at http://www.shadesofgreen.org/ you can get early entrance and if you do stay at SOG it's a very secure DOD facility with no taxes and a small AAFES exchange for cheap trinkets and snacks. We had a large suite for a very nice price when compared to the premium WDW hotels.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/...2c1760492437c4!2m2!1d-81.5918111!2d28.4018128

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
They don't fix it because they don't have to. The people still come.
Correct, Until attendance starts waning, there's little incentive for Disney to reduce the price. So go now because there will likely be a gluttonous ticket price next year.:( Spend more time in Orlando and Florida in general during a vacation. I spend a week in the Keys and south Florida after Disney fishing and enjoying nice beaches. I've been to Tokyo Disney too, now that's a rip-off.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Correct, Until attendance starts waning, there's little incentive for Disney to reduce the price. So go now because there will likely be a gluttonous ticket price next year.:( Spend more time in Orlando and Florida in general during a vacation. I spend a week in the Keys and south Florida after Disney fishing and enjoying nice beaches. I've been to Tokyo Disney too, now that's a rip-off.

Except for the parks, I think Orlando would probably be the last place in the US I would want to spend any time. ;)

In fact I really have no interest in the parks so no reason for me to go there.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Except for the parks, I think Orlando would probably be the last place in the US I would want to spend any time. ;)

Aside from the requisite trips I must make once or twice a year to satisfy the desires of a 10 y.o., every couple of years my industry's trade show occurs in Orlando.

Much preferable to Chicago, San Francisco, or New York.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

If it was just Orlando another hot, humid, smelly city in Florida sure but it has some sentimental value for me. My first strip-club visit in uniform was in Orlando after boot-camp.