First Time Needing a PCB Made - What is Possible?

HopWorks

Joined Jul 29, 2015
Greets Everyone!
My question is pretty simple. I just want to know if something PCB is possible. I noticed that some boards I have received from purchases have a black laminate on the board, with only the components exposed and no traces visible. I also noticed that some boards are various shapes and dimensions.

So I ask, as I look for a PCB fabricator, is it possible to get a PCB made that is tubular, with that cool black laminate that only exposes mounting hard points and connections? And if so, where do you recommend I have that done?

All I want is a tubular PCB that will allow WS2812b 4 color LED's mounted (RGBW) in a 16 columns by 20 rows for a decorative light fixture. I can design it in Blender or whatever you recommend that can generate gerber files, and I need only 2. Well, I would want... say 4 or even 6 just to allow for mistakes. But my end-result would use 2. Maybe 6 inches in diameter, having the matrix terminate to a connector. And if it isn't asking too much, if you could recommend a house that would include the ws2812b RGBW devices for a fee.

I sincerely apologize for my lack of knowledge about this field of production. It's an idea, and although I can visualize the board, I have little knowledge of how to make it real. I figured that if there was any place I could go for answers, it would be here.

I hope someone can recommend a place to go to make this real, and I sincerely appreciate your time. Thanks!

olphart

Joined Sep 22, 2012
Sounds like a 3 dimension object, so look for flexible PC fab houses. Small quantities may prove stupid expensive.
Also, soldering to a flexible is not a trivial skill.
Unless raw appearance is important, go with an N sided polygon. Now standard fabs can make the sides.
Use short solid wires to "stitch" it into a cylinder.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I suspect flexible PCBs also have a limit on radius of curvature that might thwart your effort. What kind of radius are you thinking of?

Bob

HopWorks

Joined Jul 29, 2015
I suspect flexible PCBs also have a limit on radius of curvature that might thwart your effort. What kind of radius are you thinking of?

Bob
I originally stated a 6 inch diameter, so a 3 inch radius, but that is actually too wide, so I scaled it back to a 2in radius. A diameter of 4 inches is the max I can go.

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
Make the PCB, fab onto a Kapton copper laminate, install components and bend it to the required curvature.
Or, make rigid-flex-rigid-flex-rigid-flex.....until you reach the lenght required to make the cylincer size needed.
1636243471811.png 1636243490908.png1636243551035.png