First pic of a black hole?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
"Even more puzzling is the prospect of taking a colour picture of an object whose gravity is so intense that not even gravity can escape."

Que?
The colors are 'fake'. They seem to be just remapping microwave radiation levels and frequencies into a false color representation. Pretty standard visualization technique for large data sets. The fact they can sense the data at the level of detail is fantastic.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The colors are 'fake'. They seem to be just remapping microwave radiation levels and frequencies into a false color representation. Pretty standard visualization technique for large data sets. The fact they can sense the data at the level of detail is fantastic.
I was referring to the fact that gravity can't escape. Either a misprint, or new to me.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Medeiros and others developed the PRIMO modeling system, which co-developer Tod Lauer says is a "new approach to a difficult task." That system used a type of machine learning that lets computers make rules based on large sets of "training material," AIS said. In this case, they had computers look at more than 30,000 pictures of black holes taking in gas. Doing that allowed the system to essentially fill in the blanks of what was missing in the 2019 image.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I'm beginning to hate these announcements of 'faked' 'AI' data zooms and sharpening.

"it is still a theoretical expectation and not an actual photograph of the supermassive black hole"

It's an image but not a picture of any existing supermassive black hole. It's an impression of what it might look like. It's not DSP, noise reduction or image enhancement. It's generated data designed to make us see something we invented, not what we can actually see is there.