Firewire / USB- Thunderbolt shield connection for Audio Studio

Seab72

Joined Feb 13, 2020
Greetings

I hop i can ask my question here
Because after search a LONG time , anyone can tell me if I can cut the shield at one end of Firewire cable ( receiver > my audio interface )

In my studio I have a Mixing Desk / power amplifier / interface audio and Computer
All connection are star ground , so i tie. cable over each gears chassis , return to only ONE point in a studio ( the power amplifier chassis )
sound really good , no noise when I power all gears EXEPT computer

Because in "theory " there is ONE ground loop that appear between computer and interface audio ( very small , like -105dbfs )
because both are connected to earth AND they share another chassis connection with the braided shield of Firewire cable ( 2meters )
I already try to turn 2 time the cable and put a Ferrite on both end , it "lower" 5% of the noise ...
my question :)

Can I "cut" this braided shield in ONE end only , so that way the shield will be connected at the computer end only and keep the protection to the cable ?

Many thanks if someone can confirm it
Seb

Greetings

I hop i can ask my question here
Because after search a LONG time , anyone can tell me if I can cut the shield at one end of Firewire cable ( receiver > my audio interface )

In my studio I have a Mixing Desk / power amplifier / interface audio and Computer
All connection are star ground , so i tie. cable over each gears chassis , return to only ONE point in a studio ( the power amplifier chassis )
sound really good , no noise when I power all gears EXEPT computer

Because in "theory " there is ONE ground loop that appear between computer and interface audio ( very small , like -105dbfs )
because both are connected to earth AND they share another chassis connection with the braided shield of Firewire cable ( 2meters )
I already try to turn 2 time the cable and put a Ferrite on both end , it "lower" 5% of the noise ...
my question :)

Can I "cut" this braided shield in ONE end only , so that way the shield will be connected at the computer end only and keep the protection to the cable ?

Many thanks if someone can confirm it
Seb
Many people (including me ) can be confused by the choice of the options mentioned above.
I think it's possible)))