Fire HD 8 Tablet -> Android one

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi All,

I bought this nice (well apparently) Fire HD 8 Tablet https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J94SWWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reason I bought this is I needed a Tablet to test my apps and the size of it, CPU & RAM specs looked ok enough plus it's a good deal...

The only problem is it's running its own OS (Fire OS 5.6.0.0) so I need to root it and install Android OS so I can test and debug my apps...

Any guidance on this would be appreciated! :)

Regards
Eric

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
@wayneh Thanks for your comments!
I quickly went though it but it does not quite do what I want. This just enables you to install Google Play to get any Android apps BUT I want to change the OS to debug app from Visual Studio and Android Studio... I am doing some research too.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
@wayneh I just tried running one of my apps using Visual Studio and it ran without problem!:)
So No need to complicate my life and I think your two links will help me install google play and other android stuff.

I am happy

Eric

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
@wayneh I just tried running one of my apps using Visual Studio and it ran without problem!:)
So No need to complicate my life and I think your two links will help me install google play and other android stuff.

I am happy

Eric
Even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The lesson here is that you could have bought a cheap android tablet for 40 USD from ebay. Instead you bought android tablet for 80 USD and now you need to do additional stuff to make it work for you. Poor planning is bad engineering.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
The lesson here is that you could have bought a cheap android tablet for 40 USD from ebay. Instead you bought android tablet for 80 USD and now you need to do additional stuff to make it work for you. Poor planning is bad engineering.
I disagree with you! :)
I planned and did my research first and if you read my OP I said I liked the size of it and the CPU & RAM! I always read the technical specs when I buy electronics. I can't stand slow devices and PCs...

I knew I could root and install Android OS but I did not know how and that's why I wrote here hoping that someone did it here...
I don't think your $40 Tablet on eBay is that good in terms of performance. I suspect this Fire OS thingy is a customised or ... android version.

Again I needed a Tablet with good hardware... you can always change the OS...

Eric

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
At the moment of posting the OP, you did not sound that sure, laisse moi te dire, Eric.
Hahahaha :D:D I wouldn't have bought the Tablet si je n'etais pas si sure! Again like I said earlier I did not know *how* but I knew it's doable and I still don't know how :)
I am good for now but once I figure out how to completely change that OS to Android I will... I am happy for the performance of the Tablet for that $80.

Eric

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I wouldn't have bought the Tablet si je n'etais pas si sure!
Ah, voilà!

Actually, I was surprised by the idea that a different OS could be installed. I always had the idea that hardware being different, the OS would be one and only one.

Interested. Please post the outcome.:)

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Ah, voilà!

Actually, I was surprised by the idea that a different OS could be installed. I always had the idea that hardware being different, the OS would be one and only one.

Interested. Please post the outcome.:)
Amazon uses custom version of Android OS. That is why the whole thing "works". Most times you can install regular Android OS on Amazon tablet, like the link wayneh posted. There might be some exceptions. I never done it because my sister gifted me with a nice Android tablet.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Thanks all for your comments!
@nsaspook I think you are right I think I read it somewhere but can't remember where. I hope there will be soon...
@shteii01 Yes they use custom Android OS but I read somewhere apps using Google API or something won't work I have to read again on that... @wayneh has posted interesting links but they do not change the OS...
@atferrari Will do once/when done!