Fire alarm remote output

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
its switches to trigger something on a remote output but would have no data sent through it.
on the panel is either a rs 232 rs485 or a printer output for a receipt printer, i want to extract the data from any of these outputs to a live log/terminal e.g when address 4 device detects a fire the panel displays the name and zone number of the alarm.
then once i can successfully exctract that data i may use some form of wifi module for arduino to transmit to a live terminal feed on tablet/phone
What you are looking for is pretty common and as mentioned from any of the companies mentioned.
All of the major alarm manufactures, Simplex, Honeywell, Silent Knight, etc offer GSM communication for their systems.
Before I retired we installed such a system. I didn't have much involvement but when there was any kind of an alarm, and we had plenty, I received a text. Additionally I could access the system anytime from anywhere over the web. We only got text and email during any alarm trip, anything like fire, flooding, low air pressure and a bunch of other things. Mostly things which fell under facilities engineering. In your case I would ask the people who put in the system about notifications. They should be able to fix you up with any add on things you may need or want. There are ways to roll your own depending on the sensors used but you would likely do well with a turn key off the shelf solution.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How did we determine that there is video involved?

I read it as view an alert on your phone. My alarm system does this using a SIM card which also interfaces with a website and phone app.
That determination came from post #1, where the TS asks about seeing data on a screen, which I take to be video. At least sort of video, which is what screens usually display.

Xheff

Joined May 8, 2019
yes they offer gsm communication but they dont offer a "live log" if im testing a major site thats a decent size i ideally need to see what going into fire at the time as if another zone goes in fire while testing its a chance that could generally be a fire

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
If you alter or change an existing system and anything goes wrong then whose problem does it become? Fire detection systems involve safety of life and most automatically notify the local fire department.

Ron

marcf

Joined Dec 29, 2014
If you "alter or change an existing system" without the approval of the "AHJ" (Authority having jurisdiction) , you can also go to jail.

Xheff

Joined May 8, 2019
half the time they dont signal anywhere unless its a major site adn they will just ring its not a regulation to have them signal

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
half the time they dont signal anywhere unless its a major site adn they will just ring its not a regulation to have them signal
OK, then you really need to know how, in detail, their system works. The sensor data from all the zones is likely fed into some sort of data acquisition system and presented as a form on a display. Without knowing exactly what you have and how the manufacturer went about it becomes difficult at best to make a suggestion. The manufacturer could have gone about this any number of ways.

Ron

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
If something malfunctions it will be blamed on what’s jerry rigged to it even if it’s not true. I like to hack things like this when it’s given to me because it’s at the end of its life. Sometimes makes fun projects for your garage.

Xheff

Joined May 8, 2019
i wouldnt say its hacking due to the fire alarm having teh optional output for a thermal printer to print a rolling log.
i wanna access that data and read it on some for of live terminal

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
i wouldnt say its hacking due to the fire alarm having teh optional output for a thermal printer to print a rolling log.
i wanna access that data and read it on some for of live terminal
OK, it makes sense and does not require any entrance into the actual alarm system. What then you need is an external processor system that first receives the output message to memory and then converts a copy of that into an ascii file, or whatever your "terminal device" can accept, along with adding a suitable message header. Then the external processor system needs to access the transmission system to make contact with your "terminal device" , and after communications is acknowledged it needs to then send the file, and get a verification that the file has been received with no errors detected. But if errors are detected, or if there is a "nack" returned, then it needs to wait some small time interval and try again.
So the process is nothing new, but definitely not trivial. It has been done many times by many, but it may not be available as a completed package.