Finite State Machine Homework Problem

testing12

Joined Jan 30, 2011
Hello everyone,

Can someone please review my solution for the problem below, i want to be sure I did this correctly, i do not have a solution manual for this one. I dont ask for confirmation usually, but this one is important. :)
Thank you for your help!

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Your answer isn't complete. Some points I 'd like to mark:

1) The diagram isn't complete until for every state you have two arrows coming from it, one for w=1 and one for w=0.
2) On state G you have two w=1 inputs. I guess that's a typo and the topmost is w=0.
3) On state E you should have a loop for w=1, for inputs like w=1111111.
4) You have not taken the case of w=1001111 into account. In your diagram it will go A>B>F>G>H>B>C>D. You should drive the diagram from H to C when a 1 is given.

Try it once more.

testing12

Joined Jan 30, 2011
Thank you for your help Georacer.

I spoke to my professor before seeing this reply, and was given solutions, posted below. It turns out a mealy design was used. Im not sure why this was chosen or how I should know to use a mealy design instead of a moore design. I know a mealy's outputs are based on input values (ie. w, in this case). I also know that mealy design will have output the moment the appropiate inputs = 1 as opposed to a moore design where the output will wait until the next clock cycle. Below is my answer, any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.