Finding Rise/Fall time of Optocoupler 6n139 at 5mA

Thread Starter

Jack Tranckle

Joined Jan 20, 2016
73
I am following the design schematic of a MIDI controlled synthesiser and am currently trying to figure out the design process.

An forward inout current "If" of 5mA is used. MIDI standards state that a high speed optocoupler with 2us or less is required. And in this design an 6N139 is used. From what I can see from the datasheet, it only shows the speed at 2 input forward currents:

At If = 0.5mA: Typ Rise Time = 13.6us
Typ Fall Time = 2.5us

At If = 12mA: Typ Rise Time = 1.3us
Typ Fall Time = 0.24us

I can't seem to find any graph or information regarding what rise and fall times I would expect at 5mA. would the 6N139 be sufficient to provide 2us at 5mA? The project is a copy so it does work but I am just trying to understand why this component would have been chosen

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1...TBglSQhFOfyLaGfN6A85fFF2qHX36wTxoCdRgQAvD_BwE
 

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
5,796
it only shows the speed at 2 input forward currents:
Note that these figures are also at vastly different Rl, which will mostly affect turn-off time (at least I think it should). Imagine the optocoupler as this: diode current is multiplied by some constant, which charges a capacitance. From this capacitance a transistor is controlled. Now I am not so sure how the Rl relates to the switching time, but I think some muller capacitance will be hidden in that and it will have an effect, even though the capacitance is hidden behind a darlington pair.
 

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
5,796
Oh crap, the numbers got somehow jumbled up and through my short memory they seemed to fit in the correct timeframe as I was jumping between the forum and the datasheet :oops:
 

Thread Starter

Jack Tranckle

Joined Jan 20, 2016
73
Apologies, those values were found in this datasheet. Same model number but different brand:

https://www.vishay.com/docs/83605/6n138.pdf

It is actually the first datasheet that I am working with. Is there a way to obtain the rise/fall time from the propogation delay in this case ? I just need to show that it is around or below the required 2us for 5mA IF
 
Top