Finding current through R4

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
JoeJester, Thank you so much for taking time to explain. I see the mistake, but from other hand looking at the circuit (if it is drawn correctly) isn't R3&R4 connected to 24V, from that: Voltage in parallel is the same and to find current through I4=V4/R4
You are so close. Where you have erred is while the voltage across R3 and R4 is the same it is not 24V. Notice that the parallel combination of R1 and R2 forms a resistor voltage divider with the parallel combination of R3 and R4 and therefore the voltage across the resistors is not the full 24V.

hgmjr

metelskiy

Joined Oct 22, 2010
ohhhhhhh..... i feel so stupid i couldn't see it right away. Thanks hgmjr, now i'm clear on this problem. Since Rt for R3||R4=6Ω and Rt for R1||R2=6Ω it divides total Voltage (24V) in half. Therefore 12V going through R4, and I4=12V/10Ω=1.2A
Thanks guys for clearing me out.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
ohhhhhhh..... i feel so stupid i couldn't see it right away. Thanks hgmjr, now i'm clear on this problem. Since Rt for R3||R4=6Ω and Rt for R1||R2=6Ω it divides total Voltage (24V) in half. Therefore 12V going through R4, and I4=12V/10Ω=1.2A
Thanks guys for clearing me out.
Nice job. I see that the light has come on.

You can now go forth and solve circuit problems with greater confidence.

hgmjr