Finding a step-down transformer

Cameron Fife

Joined Nov 1, 2014
Hey Guys. I'm working on a project where we are making a power supply. The first step, we imagine, is to use a transformer to step-down the total voltage. The problem is, however, that we don't know where to find a step down transformer. All the ones we find seem to be step-ups. Also, we want that is cheap and simple. This would be something that isn't mechanical or digital and that we could just sorta attach with our circuit.

I personally haven't been able to find anything like that. Maybe I'm not looking well enough but I suspect I'm missing something. All responses are appreciated. We are still in early development. Thanks!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
99% of the transformers you can find for sale are step-down transformers. This says that either you did not try or you don't know what a step-down transformer is. You did not say what voltage or current or power you want. Are we supposed to guess?

This makes us hesitant to tell you to plug something into a wall outlet.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Unfortunately since you choose (there is a choice) not to include your location it makes it about as difficult as can be to suggest where to get a step down transformer. Next since you choose not to provide what voltage you wish to step down and to what, makes it even more difficult for anyone to suggest much of anything and finally since you choose not to make any mention of current that rules out any possible suggestion. OK, I suggest Allied Electronics and buy a Stancor P-8662. There we are, all done.

Ron

Cameron Fife

Joined Nov 1, 2014
99% of the transformers you can find for sale are step-down transformers. This says that either you did not try or you don't know what a step-down transformer is. You did not say what voltage or current or power you want. Are we supposed to guess?

This makes us hesitant to tell you to plug something into a wall outlet.
Okay, I understand that I sound pretty stupid for asking this, butthis is my first time shopping online electronically though. The thing was that I was in a category called "Switching Converter, SMPS Transformers" and completely overlooked the proper category "Power Transformers" and I panicked because even my Googled results where all unusual. That being said, I think this is solved.

Cameron Fife

Joined Nov 1, 2014