Finding a step-down transformer

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Cameron Fife, Feb 18, 2015.

  1. Cameron Fife

    Thread Starter New Member

    Nov 1, 2014
    Hey Guys. I'm working on a project where we are making a power supply. The first step, we imagine, is to use a transformer to step-down the total voltage. The problem is, however, that we don't know where to find a step down transformer. All the ones we find seem to be step-ups. Also, we want that is cheap and simple. This would be something that isn't mechanical or digital and that we could just sorta attach with our circuit.

    I personally haven't been able to find anything like that. Maybe I'm not looking well enough but I suspect I'm missing something. All responses are appreciated. We are still in early development. Thanks!
  2. #12


    Nov 30, 2010
    99% of the transformers you can find for sale are step-down transformers. This says that either you did not try or you don't know what a step-down transformer is. You did not say what voltage or current or power you want. Are we supposed to guess?

    This makes us hesitant to tell you to plug something into a wall outlet.
    Cameron Fife likes this.
  3. Reloadron

    Well-Known Member

    Jan 15, 2015
    Unfortunately since you choose (there is a choice) not to include your location it makes it about as difficult as can be to suggest where to get a step down transformer. Next since you choose not to provide what voltage you wish to step down and to what, makes it even more difficult for anyone to suggest much of anything and finally since you choose not to make any mention of current that rules out any possible suggestion. OK, I suggest Allied Electronics and buy a Stancor P-8662. There we are, all done.

  4. wayneh


    Sep 9, 2010
    Why make a power supply when you could rescue one from the recycle yard for free?
  5. Cameron Fife

    Thread Starter New Member

    Nov 1, 2014
    Okay, I understand that I sound pretty stupid for asking this, butthis is my first time shopping online electronically though. The thing was that I was in a category called "Switching Converter, SMPS Transformers" and completely overlooked the proper category "Power Transformers" and I panicked because even my Googled results where all unusual. That being said, I think this is solved.
  6. Cameron Fife

    Thread Starter New Member

    Nov 1, 2014
    It's a school project. I have to come up with my own circuit and implement it.
  7. MaxHeadRoom


    Jul 18, 2013
    Cameron Fife likes this.
  8. Cameron Fife

    Thread Starter New Member

    Nov 1, 2014

    Yes this is good, but there are more specifications which make including a zener diode and/or voltage regulator necessary

    Variable Output (2 VDC to 12 VDC):

    Lowest output voltage: 2 VDC or less

    Highest output votlage: 12 VDC or more

    Continuous full-load output current: 500 mA or more

    Maximum ripple @ 500 mA: 2% (240 mVpp for 12 VDC)
  9. flat5

    Active Member

    Nov 13, 2008
  10. shortbus

    AAC Fanatic!

    Sep 30, 2009
    CAMERON!!! This is your teacher!!! I'm a member here also, come to my office first thing tomorrow to talk about why you are here when you are to do your own circuit!!!
    Evanguy, wayneh, #12 and 1 other person like this.