Finding a career in Embedded Systems Engineering / Robotics / Firmware

Engineer9001

Joined Dec 13, 2019
Hi,

I'm looking to find a job related to Embedded Systems Engineering (microcontrollers, FPGAs, hardware/software...etc). I have a BSEE and experience with Arduinos, Raspberry Pis, Atmel Microcontrollers, PICs, Circuit Design & PCB layout, software programming (C, C+, C#, Java, Python).

I worked as an Application Engineer (testing hardware, creating software/scripts, some R&D, database programming, circuit design, and PCB Layout), but quit 2 years ago due to health reasons. I'm starting to look for work again, however, so far no luck. A lot of companies seem to want applicants with experience in very specific areas in which I dont have experience in. I'm looking to gain experience, however, I can't figure out the best way to obtain it. Ideally I'm looking for a mid-level or senior-level job, but dont mind looking for an apprenticeship, internship, or entry level job to gain experience in Embedded Systems or Robotics.

Are there any good places to network, join an engineering club, find a startup looking for engineers...etc in order to get my foot in the door?

Currently, I'm just working on IoT projects (getting started with ARM microcontrollers, STM32F030) just to pass the time and gain some experience on my own. Maybe it will help and give me something to speak about if I land an interview.

Any advice?

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I’d suggest taking some classes at your local state college towards your MS. Many colleges have certification programs for people looking to formally improve their skills in embedded. Formal education comes across better than basement education. Get good recommendations from your professors. As a grad student with work experience you should be able to get some paid work with a research professor. It won’t be a lot but it will probably pay for your classes.

Network like crazy while in school.

Never ever offer up that you took time off work or left a job for health reasons. That leaves so many unanswered questions for the employer. In the US it’s illegal to discriminate on disability, but not on health.

Going to grad school will show initiative and drive and will likely open doors to renter the workforce. I personally prefer in-person classes over online because there is much more teacher-student-peer interaction. I think it shows more teamwork and initiative.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney. This is not legal advice. Seek out an appropriate attorney if you need legal counseling.