Final year project ideas

Ande

Joined Feb 3, 2017
I am a final year electrical engineering student wishes to deliver a final year project worthy of the name. I have two ideas in mind but none of the seem to be of sufficient complexity to be used as final year projects.

1. Hybrid solar inverter for residential loads (with active PFC)
2. V/F SPEED control of an induction motor with overload, stall and earth leakage protection.

My strengths are power electronics, electrical machines and control systems. I would like to go for something a bit modern that hasn't been fully exploited in the industry. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I am a final year electrical engineering student wishes to deliver a final year project worthy of the name. I have two ideas in mind but none of the seem to be of sufficient complexity to be used as final year projects.

1. Hybrid solar inverter for residential loads (with active PFC)
2. V/F SPEED control of an induction motor with overload, stall and earth leakage protection.

My strengths are power electronics, electrical machines and control systems. I would like to go for something a bit modern that hasn't been fully exploited in the industry. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hi,

I have an excellent suggestion i think, if you are willing to accept it because it may not be simple.

The suggestion is to build a UPS (Uninterruptable AC Power Supply) system that can handle a regular size single room air conditioner without it being extremely costly due to over rating of the unit. For example, an ordinary 5000BTU ac unit might draw 5 amps while running, but during start up it can easily draw 20 amps. So you'd have to account for that start up situation, but it would not be too repetitive so you dont need a 5000 watt converter.

So it wont be easy but maybe you could do it.
I think it would be very beneficial but the cost cant be too high, maybe a little more than a regular 1000 watt unit made for computers.