Final Stage Resistor for Blower Motor in Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwalden824

Joined Mar 6, 2011
I just replaced the final stage blower motor resistor in my car because the fan for my ac and heat quit working. The resistor for this motor that I replaced, which is shown in the picture attached below, looks extremely weird. I have never seen a resistor like this of any kind.

So my question is how does this work? Are the long metal rods extending out from the main body of the device just some sort of heat sink, or what? I am just curious about how this works, since there is no current flowing through those long rods.

Can someone explain to me why this resistor looks like this, and how it functions? My guess is there are several high powered resistors inside the black body and the long metal rods act as a heat sink to dissipate the heat from these high powered resistors...?

Thanks,
Michael Walden

edit: I attached the images instead of embedding them.

Attachments

mwalden824

Joined Mar 6, 2011
You took the whole dashboard out? I feel your pain.

I have replaced heater cores on a few vehicles. Massive job!

Looks like an heatsink to me.
Well I took the glove compartment out, and I was able to reach in a barely squeeze it out. It was still a pain in the ass and took me a few hours. Everything was so tight.

Yeah I figured it was probably a heat sink. But it was $125 for that one part. I need to hurry up and fix everything on my car so I can sell it. It is at that point to where everytime I fix something, something else breaks. Time to sell now.

But I don't want to sell until I fix at least most of the stuff. Nothing major wrong with it anymore, just a bunch of little things.

Thanks for the reply.

-Michael Walden

AlphaDesign888

Joined Jul 27, 2014
Cars are great to work on. I've had a blast with them. Bolt on an rebuilt turbocharger, drop the gearbox and do the clutch. Install an state-of-the-art entertainment system. Turn up the tunes slam down a dozen beers and go for an 100 mile strap. Sweet as.

Don't get done by the Police and lose your license like me though.
Don't worry about jail though unless you're a peadophile. Go to jail and have a long nap.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus