Feeling remote/wireless energy pulse when thermostate (heater) kicks on & during radio static

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I'm asking this in an electronics forum b/c I've found nothing about this and no help in medical forums and it really seems related to electricity in some way, be it external/ omni or uni directional, or internally generated within nervous system.

Something really odd has been happening and I'm not able to explain it. I have been getting the feeling somewhat of a cross/combination of being shocked and startled at the same time. I am certainly being startled when I feel this but at times I also have severe physical/neurological reactions like when I am shocked by electricity (if I am lying in bed I can kick/punch and have very quick muscle spasm/contractions & a brain "jolt" when this happens for about .2-.4 seconds). I also have the feeling in my heart/stomach basically exactly as if someone scared the $hit out of you. These don't always happen at the same time, they usually do if I am relaxing, but if I am working (cleaning, doing dishes, electrical/computer work, etc) I usually just feel the startled feeling and minimal physical jolt/spasm.

This reaction is triggered most often when my baseboard heating (220/240v) kicks on (I hear the thermostat click) and also at times when there is strong static on the radio (as if a strong bolt of lightening struck close by). I'll admit that the thermostat is a little loud and noticeable from 2-3 rooms away (slight soft click compared to a light snap while in-room) - but I wouldn't expect to feel startled from this noise in any way as there are other much worse and unpredictable noises that don't effect me at all.

What is odd is that the first instance of the "noise" (clicking/static) will often trigger the response but if it happens again in the next 30-60 mins it doesn't bother me again - and having 4-6 thermostats on (all audible anywhere in house) they often click on fairly soon after one another. Static usually happens repeatedly after the first instance as well - same result of not being effected after first "response".

I've read on a lot of forums that some people think they are being effected by remote radio waves controlling or triggering mental or physical responses in them. I think this may be where the "tin foil hat" type thing comes from in a part (other than reading peoples minds).

What I find really odd is that I can be sitting here typing a post like this, with the TV on (fairly loud) and the radio on in the other room, and the thermostat can click on about 25 ft from me (it's 3 90 degree turns away and 2 walls - so the sound is faint) and I can have a response from mild to medium - having slight kicking and spasms as well as the startled response. I just can't believe that such a slight noise would cause me to be startled to the extent I am.

I've had an entire shelve of dishware collapse and break/crush glass/ceramic items (very loud noise - should be startling) and respond no where near the level of the previous noise - on a scale of 1-10, this would be a 2 compared to the clicking/static (which gets a 10/10 in comparison). Other noises like neighbour setting of large explosive or transformer blowing up on power line pole - both extremely unpredictable and very startling - only gets a 3/10 in comparison.

It's the fact that I've experience many other scenarios that should have triggered something like this feeling if it was triggered internally, neurologically - but it doesn't seem to be. Over the 4+ years I've experienced this, it almost never happens in the summer (except the radio static causing it) and starts back up when I turn the heater on.

On another note, my house uses MUCH more energy than I think it should, usually in the winter (about 3-4x more than what I have metered it to be). I'm wondering if there could be some kind of high voltage spike going somewhere, possibly somehow projecting it through the air (and through building material)??

I would be extremely grateful for any thoughts and suggestions about what may be causing this, how I may be able to test for it and stop it. It is so bad at times that I feel as if I've had a mini heart attack.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Having experienced it, it sounds like Synaesthesia to me too. Not much to do with electricity (beyond the ion exchange in nerves). When highly relaxed a sudden noise can cause such things to happen.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
On another note, my house uses MUCH more energy than I think it should, usually in the winter (about 3-4x more than what I have metered it to be). I'm wondering if there could be some kind of high voltage spike going somewhere, possibly somehow projecting it through the air (and through building material)??
This is confusing. Are you saying your house uses
* 3-4x more energy than in the summer? Or
* 3-4x of what you CALCULATED (metered), or,
* 3-4x of what your meter says you used?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
How are you measuring the energy usage and coming up with two different numbers??

Well I measured the energy use of each outlet in the house for about 24-36 hours and then the few hard wired electronics such as lights - I calcualted wattage x hours used. Adding all the daily averages added together and multiplied by 1.5 (a high 50% addition for possible correction) I was still off by about 3-4x the monthly energy usage. In the winter, the use goes very high b/c of electric heating and I didn't have accurate calcuations at the time for that, but even estimating them being on 80% of the time, the energy use was 3x higher (4x higher at about 50% of the time being on).

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
This is confusing. Are you saying your house uses
* 3-4x more energy than in the summer? Or
* 3-4x of what you CALCULATED (metered), or,
* 3-4x of what your meter says you used?
3-4x more than what I calculated from measured usage at outlets and switches.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well I measured the energy use of each outlet in the house for about 24-36 hours and then the few hard wired electronics such as lights - I calcualted wattage x hours used. Adding all the daily averages added together and multiplied by 1.5 (a high 50% addition for possible correction) I was still off by about 3-4x the monthly energy usage. In the winter, the use goes very high b/c of electric heating and I didn't have accurate calcuations at the time for that, but even estimating them being on 80% of the time, the energy use was 3x higher (4x higher at about 50% of the time being on).
Unfortunately the reality of electrically heated homes is that the electric what draws many many times more Killowatthours than all the other loads in the house combined so measuring a bunch of low draw loads means nothing.

Its about as useful monitoring how much power your computer uses and assuming that has some sort of power usage factor against your electric water heater that draws 100x as much energy in a day.