Feeling old...

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Between raping dead TV's
#12 I say you should write memoirs entitled _I was AV-electro-necrophiliac for fun and profit_ It would be award winning best seller for sure cuz sensation always sells;):D

Now here's on topic
I liked the Zilog processors like z8000 segmented cpu with external MMUs (which are just adders and glue logic on same chip) I know they were long in the tooth even when I was a kid (like 15 years ago) but they were fun to program and I loved z8000's hardware enforced privileged vs standard instructions and segmented memory addressing:)

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Once upon a time.....
I worked for a start up. They were hell on budgets. I had done enough with pencil and paper to have good history, so I bought an Apple II.
upload_2016-9-28_19-11-38.jpeg
I based everything off of head count - fringe benefits, overtime, supplies, postage, etc. So every time they wanted to change them "again" I could just take out or add head count and Lotus 123 took care of the rest. I'm surprised, I still got gray hair, but I didn't get ulcers doing big spreadsheets over and over again.
Made them easy to defend, as I could reference past years with confidence.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have that exact setup in my basement, ready for sale on e-bay.

And btw, I used the cassette tape feature for storing a program. Mostly just to see if I could.

TQFP44

Joined Sep 3, 2016
In the UK we have a National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park, http://www.tnmoc.org/ well worth a visit , many of the systems mentioned and lot of the old stuff still working , they also appreciate donations. The contrast for me is not only the cost aspect , but how now children start with an iPad...