Fedora 25

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by Natakel, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Natakel

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Trying to install Fedora on a Pk5-se board with multiple drives. It installed successfully, but when it says to reboot, it hangs. It actually hung overnight.

I have a Core 2 Quad processor on the board, with 4gbs of ram. I'd appreciate any insight you could provide.

Looking to create a NAS

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Natakel likes this.
  3. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    I haven't used Fedora in about 15 years, so I can't help you. But, you could try Googling "fedora 25 hang on shutdown" and "fedora 25 hang on restart".

The answer, I am sure, will be out there.

Natakel likes this.
  4. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I am going to hazard a guess of "bad" ram.

Also check power supply if you can.

Natakel likes this.
  5. Natakel

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Thank you for the responses everyone. Been a bit busy with issues (wife is ill and it's been a rough few weeks).

I did find the time to work on getting it installed, and succeded. The drive I was installing it on apparantly had a previous install of Windows or Ubuntu on it, so I used a drive wiping tool and tried again. This time it worked . . . it did hang for about 20mins on the next screen after the language selection, but the rest went normally, and the reboot was successful.

I then installed the free Amahi Home Server on it to test it, and so far like it. I had a bit of an issue getting it to place shares on specific storage drives, but finally figured it out. Like someone said, it's easy once you know how. One gripe about their help forums is I could never find a straight answer on how to manually set up shares . . . everthing I found just looped back to a pay program called Greyhole. I actually found the answer on a Fedora site, and it was quite by accident. It was an answer to a totally different question about drives but showed the tiny knurdle of info I needed.

Not bad for a free server . . . there are apps you can buy, like Greyhole (well, technically the apps are free . . . what you pay for is supposed to be the "One click installer" which takes care of any install tweaking you'd otherwise do manually) but I haven't needed to do that for my install. I may yet go with something else, but so far in testing this is looking like it fits the bill. Price is certainly right.

If curious I installed it all on an Asus P5K SE board running a Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor and 4GB DDR2 ram. I have four drives of different age and sizes installed, for a total of 2.4TB of storage. These are all salvaged parts from other computers. So far it has successfully streamed 4 videos simultaneously while at the same time downloading a large file, all without any video lag or performance issues. Amahi was installed in conjunction with Fedora Server 25.

Thanks again for the responses all. I have no idea why wiping the drive helped, if that's what it was. Perhaps the computer gods just got tired of messing with me . . . :confused:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    joeyd999 likes this.