Fedora Linux, ndiswrapper and Netgear WNA3100

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'm running V16. Maybe updating to V21 may work. I'll give that a try soon.
It's possible you only need a firmware cutter/installer. This is the case with some Broadcom adapters. Under Debian, the package is called b43-fwcutter, I think. I haven't used Redhat in a looooong time, so I don't know what their comparable package is.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It's possible you only need a firmware cutter/installer. This is the case with some Broadcom adapters. Under Debian, the package is called b43-fwcutter, I think. I haven't used Redhat in a looooong time, so I don't know what their comparable package is.
I've used Linux for years, but someone else always set them up. And so, I'm setting up my first system. I don't know what firmware cutter/installer is, but I'll get together with google later and find out.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
OK, so I put this on hold and decided to get the wired network working, since it seems I need to be connected to do updates and such, or at lease I should be connected. So, I ran cable to the back of the house, where my 'new' lab is. However, it appears I don't have drivers for my network device (Atheros Communications Device 1091.) So, I'm back where I started. I've looked for solutions. There seems to be different ways to go about this, but I think I need a network for some of the solutions. For example, do I not need to be connected to do the following:

sudo yum update kernel kernel-headers kernel-devel gcc
???

And I think I might need to run make on the deivers, or kernel (or both) And there is something about "alx" which I guess is a generic driver for Ethernet?

Is there a simple procedure that works? I want to pursue Linux as a development system because I believe it makes drivers easier, that is if I ever get it working.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Hello,

Perhaps the following page might help:
http://www.linuxproblems.org/wiki/Enable_Netgear_WNDA3100_USB_Adapter_on_Fedora

The link to the driver seems to be dead, but in the internet archive I found the page:
http://web.archive.org/web/20131110113423/http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170

Bertus
HI Bertus,

I finally followed these links. Maybe its what I need. Looks like I can use Carl's drivers or ndis wrapper along with the factory windows drivers ( if I understand everything correctly ) I'll get back to this once I get wired networks working.

My issue so far is either I follow procedures I don't understand, or else I wait until I read hundreds of pages of Linux manuals so I can understand what I'm trying to do. I'm more is an electronics guy than a computer guy, but I'm making the transition.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
OK, so I put this on hold and decided to get the wired network working, since it seems I need to be connected to do updates and such, or at lease I should be connected.
Yes. An internet connection is required to perform updates and such (including installing ndiswrapper if necessary).

So, I ran cable to the back of the house, where my 'new' lab is.
I like to do a new installation *near* the hardwired source. I can always move the box later. Just sayin'...

However, it appears I don't have drivers for my network device (Atheros Communications Device 1091.)
Wow. This is the first time I've seen a wired NIC that doesn't have native support. You have some weird hardware! I found this thread:

Link

Here is a pertinent post:

52 moshe nahmias 2013-07-28 12:53:47 EDT
Just updated the system and the card works out of the box with kernel 3.10 :)
I am with fedora 19
What fedora and kernel version are you using? Without connectivity, you may be relegated to burning a newer install image onto a cd/flash drive and reinstalling fedora. Or, you could just get another NIC.

So, I'm back where I started.
Quite possibly, yes. But consider it a learning experience :)

I've looked for solutions. There seems to be different ways to go about this, but I think I need a network for some of the solutions.
You'll need the network for anything that doesn't already come preinstalled in the original image.

And I think I might need to run make on the deivers, or kernel (or both).
Yes, but you'd need to get the source packages and the build tools. I suppose you could use "sneaker net", but it'd be easier and quicker just to reinstall. It is relatively rare these days to have to "make" a driver. I've not needed to do it for years!

I want to pursue Linux as a development system because I believe it makes drivers easier, that is if I ever get it working.
Take this experience and keep it in your pocket. You'll find it useful in the future.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Wow. This is the first time I've seen a wired NIC that doesn't have native support. You have some weird hardware! I found this thread:
It's just a common GigaByte GA-78LMT-S2P purchased at CompUSA. I'm trying to use the device on the MB, and not a card. Nothing at all special about it. Next thing to try is to update the OS using a thumb drive. I don't know just yet how to do that. I tried using a CD but was unsuccessful. I think the OS didn't fit within the 700MB of the CD.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
It's just a common GigaByte GA-78LMT-S2P purchased at CompUSA. I'm trying to use the device on the MB, and not a card. Nothing at all special about it. Next thing to try is to update the OS using a thumb drive. I don't know just yet how to do that. I tried using a CD but was unsuccessful. I think the OS didn't fit within the 700MB of the CD.
UNetbootin is what I typically use to make a live USB version of a Linux OS, which will allow you to run the OS from the USB drive, or install it into the computer.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If Debian has ALX, then my device should be supported....
My personal choice for a rock solid production server is Debian. The 'stable' release is a little behind the latest and greatest (which is great for mission-critical machines) while 'testing' usually is very current. I mainly run 'unstable' on coding machines to have the latest versions of everything. Debian 'unstable' is actually much more stable than most other distros main releases.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
A modicum of success. Using Unetbootin was a bust. I was able to create a live bootable flash drive that worked perfectly on my laptop, but caused errors when I tried it with my MB. Then, I tried liveUSB Creator. That was also a bust. There are some MB's which just will not boot from a flash drive no matter what you do. (I tried a lot of other things which I won't go into here)

So, I went back to the DVD method, and after more abject failure, I decided my DVD disk was damaged, either from the manufacturer or from my efforts to make a Fedora disk. So, off to the store for a new pack. Finally, I was able to make and install a Fedora v20 live DVD. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So anyway, the wired network is finally working, and I'm happy to leave it at that. I don't intend to move the system, so wired is fine. My Netgear wireless dongle is happily connecting my old Windows desktop now.

So, bottom line is, now I can download any programs I need in the future for the Linux system. Will be much better than downloading, copying, sneaking, uploading, installing... etc... etc... etc......

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but...

@Brownout: Did you ever get your wireless USB adapter to work in Linux? I'm wondering because I have the exact same model (Netgear WNA3100) and would like to set it up with Fedora 22, but don't know how to do it.

Last edited: