FC-32 timer relay burning out

Bill Wissen

Joined Sep 4, 2020
I am using a FC-32 timer relay to control a 12vdc rv style pump. I am powering with a LifePo4 battery at 14+/-vdc. The timer works great for a few days, but The S5 jumper terminal melts and disables the timer.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this situation? Do I need to reduce voltage into the FC-32? if so, what resistor is appropriate?

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hi. there :) Is this it?

Product Name : Time Delay Module
Chip : SRD-12VDC-SL-C
Model : FC-32
Channel Number : 1
Voltage : DC 12V
Load : 10A 250VAC/125VAC/30VDC/28VDC
Size : 57 x 30 x 17.5mm/2.2 x 1.2 x 0.69 inch(L*W*H)
Material : metal
Net Weight : 21g
Color : Blue
Package Content : 1 x Time Delay Module
Note: Light shooting and different displays may cause the color of the item in the picture a little different from the real thing. The measurement allowed error is +/- 1-3cm.

Bill Wissen

Joined Sep 4, 2020
Hi. there :) Is this it?

Load : 10A 250VAC/125VAC/30VDC/28VDC
Size : 57 x 30 x 17.5mm/2.2 x 1.2 x 0.69 inch(L*W*H)
Material : metal
Net Weight : 21g
Color : Blue
Package Content : 1 x Time Delay Module
Note: Light shooting and different displays may cause the color of the item in the picture a little different from the real thing. The measurement allowed error is +/- 1-3cm.
Yes, that is the relay.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
How much current is the pump drawing? Those jumpers are meant for low current applications like programming. My guess is that whether you are running the pump at 12VDC or 14VDC, the current will be too much for that jumper. Remove jumper S5. Run the positive and negative wires from the battery to the board's power input screw terminals, Vcc and Gnd, like you have. Connect the pump's negative wire to the board's Gnd screw terminal also. Connect another wire between the VCC's screw terminal and the center screw terminal of the relay's output . Connect the pumps positive wire to the normally open relay's screw terminal. Same function, but this just bypasses the S5's inadequate jumper contacts.

Last edited:

Bill Wissen

Joined Sep 4, 2020
How much current is the pump drawing? Those jumpers are meant for low current applications like programming. My guess is that whether you are running the pump at 12VDC or 14VDC, the current will be too much for that jumper. Remove jumper S5. Run the positive and negative wires from the battery to the board's power input screw terminals, Vcc and Gnd, like you have. Connect the pump's negative wire to the board's Gnd screw terminal also. Connect another wire between the VCC's screw terminal and the center screw terminal of the relay's output . Connect the pumps positive wire to the normally open relay's screw terminal. Same function, but this just bypasses the S5's inadequate jumper contacts.
Thanks for the help. I’ll give it a try. The pump draws 7.5 amps on start up, and runs at about 4 amps.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Those little things will never hand even 4A. I saw a posting that said gold plated ones would handle 2A. I would not ever trust that. Suprised they lasted as long as they did. The relay's contacts are rated at 10A.