Fault with baby video monitor

HairyLightBulb

Joined Jan 20, 2019
I have a baby video monitor that has stopped working. I have figured out how to replicate the issue. The base unit doesn't play up until I turn on the parent unit (i.e. the receiver). So what that tells me is that the wireless (or RF) module in the base unit is killing the power when it makes a connection to the parent unit.

We have only ever used it from the mains adaptor, but have also tried using batteries to rule out the power adaptor. I have opened the case to see if I could spot any suspects, but the circuitry doesn't give anything away and there are no big capacitors that I could have looked at for leaks.

If anyone doesn't mind helping remotely, or giving up some of their time to help, that would save us a few bob in getting a new one. Already outside of manufacturer warranty.

High res pics below

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have opened the case to see if I could spot any suspects, but the circuitry doesn't give anything away and there are no big capacitors that I could have looked at for leaks.
I don’t have much to offer except that electrolytic capacitors can fail without any visible clue. It’s easy when they bulge or spew their guts but plenty fail without any of that. Replacing them all may feel like a shotgun approach but it’s worth a try if you have nothing else to go on.