Faster than speed of light?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Is this another potential attempt at forging an 'apparent faster-than-light' which have been proposed several times through the literature? Incidentally, contrary to some beliefs 'apparent FTL' does not violate the laws of general relativity.

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Got a flash for the krauts & the tabloid - tunnel diodes were doing just that 40 years ago. Also, Cerenkov radiation derrives from photons exceeding light speed in the medium they are passing through. It's a common phenomenon.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Got a flash for the krauts & the tabloid - tunnel diodes were doing just that 40 years ago. Also, Cerenkov radiation derrives from photons exceeding light speed in the medium they are passing through. It's a common phenomenon.
Not to mention Lucky Luke, who did it a long long time ago :D

There are a lot of things faster than the speed of light....

The speed of thought comes to mind.......if you ever did Peyote, you would know that you can get to Saturn in just moments!:D:D:D:D

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Wave velocity does not involve particles with mass.

There is a Danish scientist who managed to get a packet of photons slowed down to 17 m/s. My old Dodge Dart was therefore a FTL vehicle.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
well phase velocities of waves exceed speed of light in vacuum.
Like beenthere says, EM waves in the particle model are photon based and therefore possess no mass. So I'm still open to suggestions about something with mass that is faster than light

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
hmm, well that was just an example of only thing i know which is faster than light irrespective of mass.
the only thing with mass though one of the smallest mass perhaps i think wud be a nutrino particle but its velocities are close to light its not FTL . i dont think any of such FTL (apart from MR beenthere's dodge :D) particles exist.

Mike M.

Joined Oct 9, 2007
Do you have an example of something with mass that is faster than light?

Dave
Using quantum entanglement, information induced into a particle with mass can be transferred to its pair particle with mass instantaneously to induce a mirror image change in it. That involves mass and FTL but it doesn't involve mass actually going FTL. A Bose-Einstein Condensate is a grouping of atoms that exhibit the properties of a single quantum particle and can be influenced to perform quantum leaps that are faster than light but the distance and/or time is an inverse function of the energy violation. The greater the violation, the shorter the distance and/or time it may violate the conservation of energy. This usually involves very small distances and time scales though.

This is an interesting search that is related

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
As long as they don't exceed light speed on vacuum. The normal light speed on water is substatially lower than the one in vacuum. That causes refraction, since photons entering/leaving the material change velocity and attack angle. Thus we have Cerenkov radiation visible in water submerged reactors.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Using quantum entanglement, information induced into a particle with mass can be transferred to its pair particle with mass instantaneously to induce a mirror image change in it. That involves mass and FTL but it doesn't involve mass actually going FTL.
So no mass travelling faster than light. That is the crux here.

I am open to the suggestion of an example that challenges the status-quo...not sure I'll get one mind you.

Dave