Farting without apology or even acknowledgement?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
How old do you have to be for it to be acceptable to fart in company with neither apology nor acknowledgement?
Clearly it is OK for the very young but I am thinking about the other end of the age range.
Is it different if you are with family, or friends, or strangers?
Is it different for men and women?
Is it different in different countries?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Blame the parents. Mine taught me it was rude and unacceptable to pass gas unless you were sitting on the toilet; so I hold it until I'm on the toilet.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Certain foods are the cause I try to avoid them if I know I will be at work around others. I can't eat Oat Meal, Broccoli "family", Cheese, Beans, definitely no Milk.

Other than that I'm usually good till it's toilet time. Mine smells like roses, just ask my wife when I whoosh the covers. :p

kv

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Actually after 70 it is expected. Other than that nothing really changes
hi spin,
If 70 is the OK to flatus in public benchmark, I've been missing out on the fun for the past 16 years.:rolleyes:
I've got some catching up to do.!

E

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Some people have a real clinical issue, if they have irritable bowl syndrome, Graves Disease etc. They can't help it.

Actually the truth is what it is, hopefully you can find a place where there is a lot of noise to cover it or find a bathroom.

kv

Edit: Plus, I stay away from anything with Carbonation. But, then that's the other end, in some cultures it's expected to burp at a meal.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Never had a problem with eating anything and not having gas. Then I turned 70 and everything causes it.
Great. Something to look forward to. I've heard quite a few people say that beans gave them gas. It never affected me.

I read somewhere that kangaroos don't pass gas. They have some beneficial gut bacteria that prevents it. Maybe someone will figure out how to use that to help gassy people.

But, there's still no excuse for not excusing yourself if you pass gas in the presence of others. Get away from people if you're going to have an uncontrollable episode, but definitely apologize if you can't.

This is about manners. I cover my mouth when I cough, sneeze, or yawn, regardless of whether others are present; it's automatic.