Fan that has 10V PWM signal, modification advice.

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Hi All

Until now, my circuit has been powering a 12V FAN, with a PWM signal generally 5V or open collect. I need to use the following FAN (attached datasheet). The PWM control wire for this FAN is not internally pulled up, so it would need a voltage of 10V for full speed. Otherwise, it's simply switched off.

My simple circuit, which has been working till now(For my previous fan), is the following but only provides a 5V PWM signal. I have used a Zener diode with a 3K resistor to create a 5V signal. But now, as I need a 10V signal voltage(max), is its best to simply remove the Zener diode?

Otherwise this current circuit I am getting a max of 5V applied to this control line.

1684516651063.png

Thanks

Attachments

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
That fan works on 12Vto 24V, so just take the Zener off, or better still use a pnp transistor to drive it.
Thanks, I am using the 12V version. For now, I will remove the zener, and maybe improve the circuit in the next PCB revision.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I see the yellow wire as PWM/ 0-10 volts DC Does that mean that some versions have a 0-10 control while others have P{WM, or does it mean that either works??

DJ_AA

Joined Aug 6, 2021
Well, I think it's 0-10V, but if you was to use a PWM signal it would simulate a voltage.I might be wrong.

My PWM signal is 0 to 5V, and even at full duty, I am just getting 50% of the max speed.